Whyte 805 2014

benmarsh87
benmarsh87 Posts: 24
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
So I'm returning to mountain biking. I'm looking for a 650b bike as I'd like something that's a bit of an all-rounder, most likely a hard tail as I want to keep cost down (don't want to go mad on price after being out of it for a few years).

The Whyte 805 caught my eye - http://www.whytebikes.com/2013/product. ... 5&xSec=116 looks quite a decent bike but wondered what you guys thought about the spec. Anyone ridden a Whyte? Can't say I've really come across them out and about. I know they have a decent reputation. Or are there any alternatives you would say were better for my budget (£750 to £1000 max).

Cheers in advance guys!

Comments

• ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    edited August 2013
    You'll get a much better 26" bike for the money

Have a look at Boardman they do a good £1K bike

Whyte are great bikes but you can get better value for money on spec elsewhere

The Orange crush is a very agressive HT if you can stretch that far and it's 650b

Take a look at Canyon or the Rockriders at decathlon for good value
  • Thanks for the advise man, they look like really good bikes but I'd defo like to go with the 650b wheel size, I think if I was going to go for a different wheel size it would be a 29er. I'll be doing a lot of XC riding but would like something agile also for some down hill stuff which is why I'm after an all-rounder.

I actually had a look at the Crush and it looks great but 1k was a push for me so it's gonna be way out of my budget.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    650b is one of the biggest loads of rubbish to hit the MTB seen in years. Adding 12.5mm to the radius of your twheels is not suddenly going to make the bike amazing for DH. Other factors are much, much more important.
  • I'm looking for a little more constructive feedback than that but cheers. Let's not just slate something and leave it at that.
  • I mean they must have some grounding seen as Giant's 2014 range includes quite a few 650b bikes.
  • supersonic
    For your budget you can get 26ers that are much better specced, and these spec choices will make the bike more suitable for you. The wheel size is a tiny thing in the scheme of things.

What I am saying is that the wheel size should not be the biggest factor for you for bike suitability. In addition I have seen very little evidence to say that 650b is any quicker over any terrain, or better suited.

For a grand you can get an onone 456 Evo2:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOO456EVO2 ... ntain_bike

This is a much better all rounder than the Whyte, the fork is in a different league (stiffer, better damped). The geometry will help with the harder riding (slack for stability) - and add to that the superb wheels and tyres and you have a bike that is born to rip the trails up.

Yes it will be heavier - but you can't have it all ;-)
  • supersonic
    PS they do cheaper versions that are pretty much as good. Or ring them for custom build options - this further adss flexibility.
  • awesome feedback :) that's what I was after lol.

So would you say a 26er makes a better all-rounder compared to a 29er too?
  • punkatron1
    punkatron1 Posts: 134
    On one have got a 650b 456 coming out if that's you're thing. I'd go with the evo2 though.
    Too many bikes, not all fully built.
  • How are the on one bikes? thats another I've not seen up close. I've heard you get a lot of bang for your buck but the frame is pretty poor.
  • punkatron1
    benmarsh87 wrote:
    How are the on one bikes? thats another I've not seen up close

I've got a 456 summer season and its a blast to ride. Its got a sensible build with Sektors set at 150mm. I use it for all day rides in the Peak District and its great. It climbs OK, but smashes the downs.

My brother had a carbon 456. It was nice and light, but a a bit harsh for all day rides (his words). Good bike though.

I really like the brand and the guys in the shop are very helpful. Good value, excellent riding bikes for UK conditions and terrain. I'd definitely buy another.
  • would you say it was a good all rounder? I'd no doubt be doing a lot of climbing, we go to the lake district a lot and the trails near me are quite hilly. I know I'm not going to find something that's going to do everything brilliantly just want something that's going to do most things competently.

Actually been looking at the Cube LTD too which looks good and gets great reviews.
  • punkatron1
    benmarsh87 wrote:
    How are the on one bikes? thats another I've not seen up close. I've heard you get a lot of bang for your buck but the frame is pretty poor.

I don't get the frame being poor comment. Yes they're cheaper than some other brands, but the fact that you see plenty out on the trails where I ride most weekends in proper biking country would suggest to me that they're made well enough i.e. big old climbs, fast rocky descents and flowing technical single track. The kind of terrain that reduced my Boardman team fs to its constituent parts (hated that bike).
  • ej2320
    If you want an all rounder surely the Boardman I linked is perfect? 69 degree HA, great for climbing but can handle the rough if you position yourself correctly. 120mm fork - all rounder. X9 transmission which costs near £500 alone. 11.5 KG which is easily light enough to much the hills. £850, take the £150 and buy some shimano brakes and bin the Avids then it's perfect. Know someone with that bike, they're like a whippet in the hills and the downs
  • My comment wasn't that the on ones had bad frames, I was just clearing up something I'd heard. Like I say, I'm returning to the sport after a number of years and aren't familiar with the on one bikes.
  • punkatron1
    benmarsh87 wrote:
    would you say it was a good all rounder? I'd no doubt be doing a lot of climbing, we go to the lake district a lot and the trails near me are quite hilly. I know I'm not going to find something that's going to do everything brilliantly just want something that's going to do most things competently.

Actually been looking at the Cube LTD too which looks good and gets great reviews.

Yeah I think it'll be a great all rounder. My summer season is just on the right side of being too slack. The geometry on the evo 2 looks much improved for going up hill, but as much fun still coming down.
  • Right it's on my list to look at :) may start another thread as this is turning into a 'whats the best all rounder' thread now.
  • ej2320
    benmarsh87 wrote:
    Right it's on my list to look at :) may start another thread as this is turning into a 'whats the best all rounder' thread now.

All rounder for what? What are you riding?

Some people say All mountain/Enduro is all round others say Trail
  • punkatron1
    ej2320 wrote:
    If you want an all rounder surely the Boardman I linked is perfect? 69 degree HA, great for climbing but can handle the rough if you position yourself correctly. 120mm fork - all rounder. X9 transmission which costs near £500 alone. 11.5 KG which is easily light enough to much the hills. £850, take the £150 and buy some shimano brakes and bin the Avids then it's perfect. Know someone with that bike, they're like a whippet in the hills and the downs

Is x9 really £500? Personal choice but I'd take shimano slx all day long. Boardmans are good value (especially in the current halfords sale), but I've found them a bit dull to ride. I really wanted to like my team fs as it looked great, but the build quality wasn't brilliant and the bike looked and felt shagged after a winter of Peak District riding. Im talking paint flaking off, chain stays getting eaten away and worn pivots. Never had that before.
  • punkatron1
    ej2320 wrote:
    benmarsh87 wrote:
    Right it's on my list to look at :) may start another thread as this is turning into a 'whats the best all rounder' thread now.

All rounder for what? What are you riding?

Some people say All mountain/Enduro is all round others say Trail

What are these categories you speak of above? You may not be aware but the Lake District is an area of outstanding beauty in the north of England. Its quite hilly as mentioned previously and the bikes will have to "climb" up hills and then "descend" the other side. Therefore the bike will have to be good at both.
  • Like I say, I'm returning to the sport so I'm not riding anything at the moment.

Going to be using the bike for XC, some DH, there's some twisty trails in the woods near me and would also like to ride it to work on occasionally if the weather's good. Basically I want something that 's going to eat the ground up a little better than a 26er but is more agile than a 29er which led me to think that maybe the 27.5 would be a decent medium.
  • punkatron1
    I see that you've started another thread....probably wise. Out of interest what did you ride before?
  • My last one before I stopped was a 2005 specialized rockhopper so it was a cheaper bike than what I'm looking for now. Not had a bike in 4 years now so I'm a little out of the loop and also out of practice.
  • Lee2288
    Lee2288 Posts: 3
    I was up until very recently in the same predicament, I have ordered my new Whyte 805/2014 this morning, I was tempted to go with a boardman and have heared great reviews about them but hearing owners opinions after 6-12 months of use they seem to become a tad tired with paint chipping etc ??
  • awesome, let me know what you think about it. When are you due to get it?
  • Lee2288
    Lee2288 Posts: 3
    Thanks bike is on order so will report back once i get my hands on her