Fox 36 Van - clicking noises - too much preload/coil bind?

apsol
apsol Posts: 10
edited August 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I have a Fox 36 Van RC2 2009 and always heard a clicking noise and never paid attention to it. But recently I researched a bit about this issue and found that it is caused by the heat shrink that goes off the center of the coil.

I removed the coil, and the heat shrink was on top of the coil, I tried to push it down but it was too tight and I noticed that there was some scratches inside the stanchions that were made by the coil, on the bottom, center and top respectively.
But since I can't find any store that sells it on my town and I don't really want to order a "bit of rubber" from the internet so can I use some transparent plastic wrap ?

Also, I picked up the Preload cap and turned on to each opposite ends to see how it works and when I turned clockwise a piece of the cap expanded, I assume thats more preload since it makes more pressure on the coil, well the problem is I always had the Preload 6 clicks from the clockwise position, meaning I had the preload almost on the maximum while I was thinking that it was from the minimum, because on the Fox manual it says clockwise = less preload / counter-clockwise = more preload.

Do you think it damaged the coil ?

Thanks.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    1 dont worry about the sleeve but a twisting action works best. and no.
    2 no you will not have damaged it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • apsol
    apsol Posts: 10
    Alright then.

Thanks.