Cake Stops

dee4life2005
dee4life2005 Posts: 773
edited August 2013 in The cake stop
So, what better thread for the Cake Stop that for folk to discuss their favourite locations for a cake stop, and what was purchased.
btw. this thread is worthless without pictures of the aforementioned cake :wink:

Anyone recommend any places for a cake stop in Dundee or the surrounding area (alyth, kirrimuir, forfar, glamis)?

I`ll start the ball rolling with Glenshee Ski Centre, any of their cakes are delish especially the chocolate fudge cake - nom, nom. Sorry, no pics - maybe next time.

Comments

• I had two huge slices of their Victoria Sponge after doing the 9 Glenshee Munros one day, figured I deserved and needed them! :wink:
    At the erse end o' a coo!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    +1 for Glenshee
    other favourites of mine:
    The Dome in Blair
    The Horn by Errol
    Peel farm up Glenisla
    Dobbies on the A92 0/10 for cosy atmosphere, 10/10 for scones
    Cairn o' Mhor by Errol
    My house in Liff, 11/10 for scones, cakes and atmosphere (BR Dundee branch membership card to be shown on entry)
  • Ah yes, The Horn ... fantastic bacon rolls as I recall. Have passed by Peel farm before, didn't realise they sold cake. Will have to stop by the next time I'm up that way.
  • Cairnie Fruit Farm is good if you ever venture over the water.
  • bompington
    Cairnie Fruit Farm is good if you ever venture over the water.
    Good point, in which case head over to St A as well for a Janetta's.
  • I commute from Dundee to St.Andrews 3-4 times a week on the bike, have passed by Cairnie Fruit Farm a few times, never stopped in though. Will also have to sample Janetta's as well I think, some tasty looking cakes.
  • I commute from Dundee to St.Andrews 3-4 times a week on the bike, have passed by Cairnie Fruit Farm a few times, never stopped in though. Will also have to sample Janetta's as well I think, some tasty looking cakes.

I must have passed you at some stage on the roads over here when I'm out and about. Or on my commute from Tayport - Leuchars.
  • The Clattering Brig at the foot of Cairn O’Mount does a great sandwich and soup. Plenty of dazed cyclists walking through the door too :lol:

Katie’s Tea Shop near Dunkeld is good and a regular half way point for the Thistles.

The wee café at the Forfar driving range does a good cake too, but the coffee is a bit meh.

But our current fave is also Janetta’s in St Andrews. Seats outside on the street so the bike can be watched (and the ladies ;-)). It’s next to Spokes and it’s Italian owned (the family has been in Fife for decades) so the coffee is good. It’s also a good place to thaw out on a winter ride.
  • The Clova Hotel does a cracking Deuchars IPA :wink:
  • http://www.tazzina.co.uk/index.html at West Meon. The most chocolatey chocolate brownie I have ever tasted!
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Louis tea rooms on kit hill near Callington, fremington halt on the Tarka trail near barnstaple
  • I must have passed you at some stage on the roads over here when I'm out and about. Or on my commute from Tayport - Leuchars.
    There's a good chance. I usually head through Tayport, and then shortly before reaching St. Michaels I take the road that passes close to Tentsmuir and comes in the back of Leuchars - usually on that stretch around 7:30-7:45. I don't tend to see many other cyclists at that time, but if you do see a white/red beone road bike with red bar tape then that'll be me. I usually wave, or say hello, to any cyclists I see.
  • I must have passed you at some stage on the roads over here when I'm out and about. Or on my commute from Tayport - Leuchars.
    There's a good chance. I usually head through Tayport, and then shortly before reaching St. Michaels I take the road that passes close to Tentsmuir and comes in the back of Leuchars - usually on that stretch around 7:30-7:45. I don't tend to see many other cyclists at that time, but if you do see a white/red beone road bike with red bar tape then that'll be me. I usually wave, or say hello, to any cyclists I see.

I'm either an hour ahead of you 6:30-6:45, or leaving Leuchars at around 7:30 after a nightshift on my way home. I more often that not use the main road. I use your route more often in the winter. I will know who to look out for now. I'm either on a celeste Bianchi or Ribble Stealth these days. I try to acknowledge everyone also.
  • bompington
    http://www.tazzina.co.uk/index.html at West Meon. The most chocolatey chocolate brownie I have ever tasted!
    Sounds good, the only problem is that I rarely have time for the 994 mile round trip from Dundee.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    bompington wrote:
    http://www.tazzina.co.uk/index.html at West Meon. The most chocolatey chocolate brownie I have ever tasted!
    Sounds good, the only problem is that I rarely have time for the 994 mile round trip from Dundee.

3060 miles for me, I do like the meon valley, but not that much :roll:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Hornby Post Office Tea Rooms, North Lancs...

Scones as big as your head, and it's on the 'Way of the Roses' Coast to Coast route, so a favourite with cyclists:

http://www.cafe.southlakesgroup.org/hor ... ffice.html
  • bianchibob
    bianchibob Posts: 306
    Take the B3046 from Basingstoke down to Alresford, thro' what is called the Candover valley and you come into the Hampshire market town of Alresford. There are several cafes there that cater for cyclists, Heidi's and my favourite Caracoli's on Broad Street.
    Not cheap but quality and service never is in my estimation.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    bianchibob wrote:
    Take the B3046 from Basingstoke down to Alresford, thro' what is called the Candover valley and you come into the Hampshire market town of Alresford. There are several cafes there that cater for cyclists, Heidi's and my favourite Caracoli's on Broad Street.

+1 for Caracoli's. I may try Heidi's next time. Staying in Hampshire, I recommend

http://www.bottegadeisapori.co.uk/

In Alton for a choice of gluten free cakes. Quite a chain of cake stops developing across the county now!