Orbea Alma Team 2009 - Frame Spec and Build Questions

Greer_
Greer_ Posts: 1,716
edited August 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I've been offered the above carbon frame, but can barely find anything out about it, so if anyone has any info at all it would be much appreciated. Headset/bb shell/seatube/seatpost/toptube length mainly. Posted in Workshop and Tech as I then want to know what headset will fit - integrated/external - and what bottom bracket - I believe a gxp bb is fitted, is this compatible with hollowtech ii cranks, or will a hwii bottom bracket fit instead? Thanks

orbea-alma-frame-hi.jpg

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    http://www.orbea.com drop them a mail.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Greer_
    Cheers nicklouse, tried that but they told me to email a distributor for some reason, which I will do. Was just wondering if anyone else knew anything.
  • Greer_
    I'm a bit further on, found this but no mention of headset/bb standard and seatube size. Will send another few emails. I'm also pretty sure the seatpost is 30.9mm so my current seatpost/clamp/ and most likely the front mech won't fit.

It's going to be built into a race/all round bike using the current parts on my kraken, but thinking about a new fork and selling the Recon Gold. I'm looking at the 2012/2013 Reba RLs, does anyone have any opinion on solo/dual air and 100/120mm travel? I'm really not sure what to go for if I decide on the frame! (Mods feel free to move thread to wherever is suitable)
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Decent frames - ridden notably by Julien Absalon to many WC wins! A friend had one and liked it! GXP BB won't work with HT2, but you can just fit a HT2 BB with no issues.

No idea on geometry though.
  • Greer_
    Cheers njee! That answers the bb question, was what I though but wasn't sure! The geometry is in the link in my post above but doesn't give much else away. Any opinions on the fork? 100mm vs 120mm? My current fork is 100mm .... I don't seem to be having any problems with it as it is, but not sure if a bit more is needed!
  • njee20
    Designed around 100 for sure, you'll slacken it a fair chunk with a 120, may not ruin it, but they're pretty 'Euro' in design I'd say!
  • Greer_
    Well 120mm forks can be reduced, I believe 100mm forks are lighter though! Just really need to know the headset type now, haven't received any replies from bike shops yet.
  • njee20
    The 100/800mm SIDs were marginally lighter than the 120/100s, basically because they had shorter stantions. Not much in it.
  • Greer_
    Is it easy enough to reduce the travel of the 120mm one or will I need to replace the oil?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just need a spacer on most RS forks, you my well need to drain the oil for that.

Headset looks like it's likely to be semi integrated, just a feeling I get from the shape of the head tube, could be integrated, won't be external.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Greer_
    Cheers was hoping it might be semi-integrated but with any luck it'll come with a headset fitted. The forks seem easy enough to service anyways.