Frame size for the girlfriend

welshkev
welshkev Posts: 9,690
edited November 2013 in Women
Hi ladies,

I'm looking to build a bike up for my girlfriend as a surprise. She's 5ft 1/5ft 2 tall. I was thinking a 15 inch frame, would this be about right or smaller?

It'll only be for cycle path and the odd green/blue trail, nothing full on.

Cheers :D

Comments

• Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    I would have it would be fine, albeit they do vary a bit.
  • siancara
    siancara Posts: 29
    I'm 5ft 2 / 5ft 3 and I have a 14 inch frame, used to have 16 inch with the seat as low as it'd go...
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    My wife is 5ft 6" and her bike has a 15" frame.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I would say smaller - 14" frame would probably be about right.

I'm 5ft 4" and a 15" is probably right for me, although so far my bikes have been 14" as I like them a bit small!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    cheers ladies, i'll take a look around for a 14" then :)
  • It depends on the bike, Im 158cm which is just under 5'3 and I have a 15" but some bikes at 14 were too high on the crossbar. It depends as well on leg length and reach.
    In my opinion she needs to try it first as different makes vary a lot. You can still surprise her by taking her for the bike or frame.
  • My wife is 5'4" and uses an Inbred 14" frame.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Your brave , my wife has very exacting requirements for her mountain bike :)

Strangely after a few test rides she chose the one at the top of her budget ;)

A big thing to consider for women's MTB is make sure there is plenty of stand over height and it is not overly stretched out. Apart from that normal bike sizing applies.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Did the same thing for the missus - using a small (15") hardrock frame with a really short stem to further reduce the reach. Unfortunately I hadn't factored in that as a girl she'd always ridden female specific bikes, so although the standover height is fine, she isn't used to mounting/dismounting "properly", and nearly killed herself trying to lift her foot over the toptube and getting it stuck.
  • Did she ever sit on the Cove? was that too big?
  • jimothy78
    Did she ever sit on the Cove? was that too big?

that was 17" or 18", wasn't it? much too big, surely?
  • jimothy78
    BTW, like the way you side-stepped the obvious "did she ever sit on the Stiffee....." double-entendre ;)

Ooops :twisted: