A Pain in the... Saddle!

Jinx9
Jinx9 Posts: 14
edited August 2013 in Women's cycling forum
I've been riding for about 7 years now and am still trying to find the perfect saddle. I've tried some from the Specialized range (including a man's saddle) and the Selle Italia range. I also tried a Fizik one without a cut out... the most painful thing I have ever sat on!!

At the moment I have a Selle Italia Diva Gel flow. The problem is that this is very comfortable for my sit bones but I get a numb crotch. I tired the Selle Italia Lady SLR flow as it has a large cut-out and this was perfect on this area but due to the lack of padding it killed my sit bones to the point where it hurt to sit down.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and can anyone recommend a saddle that helped? It's been suggested that I try an SMP Selle, but after seeing the prices I would like to hear how other people have found these first. Or if anyone knows where I could get a demo of one in the Devon / Cornwall area?

Comments

• Do you wear padded cycing shorts? If not, then this could be your problem. I use the Selle Italia Diva seat and wear some Altura Gel Padded shorts and am quite comfortable.
  • My wife had the same problem (same pain, same number of years) and tried a wide variety of saddles (Specialized, Italia etc.). T :lol: he answer was found out this spring, we bought an ISM saddle (Adamo saddle). It changed her cyclist life ! Contact them, they will advise you about the best saddle for you.
  • Have you tried different shorts? I find the shorts I wear make a massive difference to how comfortable I am. Different ones have padding in different areas. I am currently using Gore ones that have a really good pad and gel inserts. I don't get on with the Altura pro gel ones at all as they don't have enough padding round the front.

Horses for courses.
  • Jinx9
    Jinx9 Posts: 14
    I do wear padded shorts and have a variety of them... Specialized (my favourties), Gore, Pearl Izumi, Endura, Northwave, Dhb, Campagnolo and Biemme!! I tired the Altura Gel ones but didn't like them. Whilst I do find that certain shorts have much thicker padding and are better for longer rides, the numbness still happens!

Thanks for the advise on the noseless saddle, I will look into that despite them being odd looking!!
  • Jinx9 wrote:
    I do wear padded shorts and have a variety of them... Specialized (my favourties), Gore, Pearl Izumi, Endura, Northwave, Dhb, Campagnolo and Biemme!! I tired the Altura Gel ones but didn't like them. Whilst I do find that certain shorts have much thicker padding and are better for longer rides, the numbness still happens!

Thanks for the advise on the noseless saddle, I will look into that despite them being odd looking!!

And no underwear under the shorts. Underwear causes friction and numbness down below so always go 'commando' :shock: