Getting painful calf cramps

dazza12
dazza12 Posts: 20
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
I've just taken up cycling again at the age of 41 after signing up to my employer's Cyclescheme. Got a Specialized Sirrus Elite Disc 2013 and I'm very happy with it.

Back in the day, I used to cycle everywhere and occasionally did 30-50 mile runs. I had little or no problems. However, I'm now carrying quite a bit of extra weight. My target is to get rid of the bulk and get fit.

My commute is only 4 miles a day (2x2). However, I've noticed that whenever I stop pedalling and freewheel (downhill for instance), I get very painful cramps in my calves. These go once I start pedalling again but once they've come on I seem to lose stamina.

I note that when paddling in the sea I seem to get them as well, sometimes as soon as cold water touches me. As I sit here, 3 hours after cycling in to work I can feel heat in my calves, but no pain.

Does anyone have any tips for minimising cramps? Anything i should be taking or preventative measures that will stop them? Are supplements a good idea?

Comments

• I guess checking your fit is the first thing. I'm having trouble with my calves (although aching not cramping), which I think is due to over extending my leg on the downstroke. So I would check that first.
  • Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
    Im not an expert but i had issues with my left calf cramping after riding 20-30 miles. Messed around with fit, saddle height, cleat postion etc.. and still had the same issue.

After reading a few things online i believe it is more than likely a salt and potassium issue. I found that evening after work rides were always worse and i think this could be either due to the caffeine intake or the fact i generally do drink a lot of water in the day potentially flushing the muscles of salts

My solution is to drink an electrolyte specific drink (currently using nuun tablets) before a ride and if i am going anything over 40 miles make sure i have one bottle filled with energy drink that is rich in sodium and electrolytes. I also avoid too much caffeine before a ride.

Since i have been doing the above i have had no cramp in 500 miles over a variety of rides from 5 mile rides to the shops or 60 mile sportives

I know this is a bit different to a 2x2 mile commute but it may be worth trying some of the above to see if it makes any difference
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • Dmak
    Dmak Posts: 445
    3 things that cause cramp for me;

Lack of fitness
    Not enough salt
    Cold

Fancy drinks may help but for the most part I think they're BS.
    Just get fitter, keep your legs warm when the winter comes, ESPECIALLY YOUR KNEES.
    Stretch your calves when you feel it coming on. Whilst clipped in, stand and drop your heals, bounce a bit stretching them out.
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    Dmak wrote:
    Stretch your calves when you feel it coming on. Whilst clipped in, stand and drop your heels, bounce a bit stretching them out.
    I do this. I can feel them tightening a little, so I stand, drop heels, stretch. I don't bounce particularly, but the stretch stops the cramp developing.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Dmak
    Dmak Posts: 445
    Dmak wrote:
    Stretch your calves when you feel it coming on. Whilst clipped in, stand and drop your heels, bounce a bit stretching them out.
    I do this. I can feel them tightening a little, so I stand, drop heels, stretch. I don't bounce particularly, but the stretch stops the cramp developing.

Gotta bounce, just a bit :wink:

To the original poster,
    Add some distance to your commuting journeys, bit by bit on roads you enjoy. Personally I find it takes me 7-10 miles to actually get warmed up, it's only when you're properly warmed up that you start using fat as an energy source for cycling. It could start with just half a mile.
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    Electrolytes, don't just drink water.
  • raymond82
    raymond82 Posts: 330
    +1 for the fit, I used to have lot's of cramps in the calves too and after a bikefit it's almost gone. My calves are still prone to cramping (I get horrible cramps when running) which could be because they are tight so daily heel drops while not on the bike will also help in the long run. Getting the foam roller may have been the best advice, I now use it not only for my calves but also the IT band, back and upper legs and it works really well.

I asked about it recently and got quite some good advice:
    viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=12919007
  • PhunkyPhil
    PhunkyPhil Posts: 143
    Make sure you drink plenty of liquid. i get these if i neglect fluids towards the end of a hard ride. if i stay hydrated i don't have the problem.
  • dazza12
    dazza12 Posts: 20
    Thanks for all the help guys.

Things seemed a bit better this morning, probably due to my body starting to get used to it.

I made sure I tensed and relaxed my calf muscles when not pedalling when I felt the pain coming on. I also popped a spoonful of sugar and a pinch of salt in my drink (weak orange), which appears to have helped the recovery a lot better along with the banana I brought along with me. I'd cut salt out of my diet a few years ago, which had probably added to the problem.

My recovery seemed to be quicker this morning as well. Yesterday it took me about an hour and a half to lose the wobbly legs feeling. This morning I was fine after 10 minutes - hopefully not a fluke.
  • long read but read this, may help you.

http://www.irunfar.com/2013/07/cramping-my-style.html
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    All of the above but also be aware that long term mediciations can bring on cramps.

Cyclosporine used to make me cramp - calfs and quads. I did the Caledonian Etape with regular and severe cramps from about mile 50. A gel would give me temporary relief but they kept coming.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I used to have to do stretches after riding to avoid cramps. I don't get them at all now, but when I started they were quite bad.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    I used to get calf cramps. I moved my cleats back just 5mm after much internet and forum research. Problem solved, never to return.