Genesis Grapil 20 Snapped Frame!

samcivilised
samcivilised Posts: 73
edited August 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Bought a Gensis Grapil 20 5 weeks ago and have been loving it rides the trail centres well and local routes with ease
However this happened yesterday coming off a small drop off on a flat section! Lucky I wasn't full speed downhill
Anyone else had any similar issues? The frame is anodised and if you look at where its sheared the metal is a different colour. Could it weaken the metal by anodising it?
image_zps85cfcc69.jpg
image_zps521f9c0c.jpg

Comments

• 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    What have Genesis said?
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Nothing yet. I've taken 2 weeks from work and planned to ride everyday.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    The frame is anodised and if you look at where its sheared the metal is a different colour. Could it weaken the metal by anodising it?

Welding weakens the metal - look where it's snapped, on a weld!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That looks very like a manufacturing issue the failure line is far to 'square'.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    back to the seller with it. replacement rear is required.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Nike shop has been told it is a known problem and they have had to reinforce the rear swing arm at that point
    Apparently mine is the third known about
    Still doesn't help that my holiday is ruined as I don't have a bike!
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Can the bike shop lend you something to keep you pedalling. If Genesis know its a problem they might let the shop give you a demo bike till its sorted its got to be worth asking.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Bike can be fixed in 4 hours, 24 hour courier of parts, can be fixed by end of Thursday.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Genesis has finally given an answer that it is a known problem with the Grapil 20 and every owner should be issued with a replacement reinforced swing arm
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    'Finally'? You make it sound like they have been slow in responding to you?
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500