Kittel polygraph

bipedal
bipedal Posts: 466
edited August 2013 in Pro race
First UV blood treatments, now a lie detector test... what's next Paul McKenna?

Comments

• bipedal wrote:
    First UV blood treatments, now a lie detector test... what's next Paul McKenna?

No, Paul Kimmage. He's the only one who can get the truth of out of dirty cheats*

source: Paul Kimmage
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    They could always water board him. It works for the CIA I understand.
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Didn't Tyler say in his book he took a polygragh and passed?

You can be trained to pass a polygraph apparently.
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • cesco
    cesco Posts: 252
    Also, a polygraph is by no means a valid, reliable lie detector. It doesn't hold up in court very well either.

In fact, proper lie detection tests are still pretty sci-fi. Honestly.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Kittel is the last person to prove anything. This is just silly.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited August 2013
    brettjmcc wrote:
    Didn't Tyler say in his book he took a polygragh and passed?

You can be trained to pass a polygraph apparently.

TH did say he'd take and passed a test. Bert also passed one to try and prove he'd injested clen unknowingly (his laywer later went on to claim that lie detectors are not foolproof).

As Thom Thom says, this is a bit silly.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,451
    Indeed it is. Almost as silly as anyone believing that lie detectors actually work.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    andyp wrote:
    Indeed it is. Almost as silly as anyone believing that lie detectors actually work.

Indeed. I have been told that substitution is a valid method for tricking them. Having never been subject to one I have no idea if that's an urban myth though.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    It's not all good news. While the lie detector did say he was clean, it also said that he was the father of Kayleigh-Marie, the baby of a guest on the Jeremy Kyle show.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    RichN95 wrote:
    It's not all good news. While the lie detector did say he was clean, it also said that he was the father of Kayleigh-Marie, the baby of a guest on the Jeremy Kyle show.

However the baby in question, after DNA testing, was later revealed to be entirely the wrong race.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGH1pAQ6Q0s
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    While I still have issues with Kittel over his previous UV blood doping and him trying to be the poster boy for clean cycling, I will at least concede the gesture of doing a polygraph is admirable.

Leaving out the issue of how accurate it is for the moment, if ALL Pro cyclists were subjected to this, I wonder if any of them would come back with 'negative' results? Not that it would matter - but perhaps it might make authorities at least look at these people with greater scrutiny.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Pokerface wrote:
    While I still have issues with Kittel over his previous UV blood doping and him trying to be the poster boy for clean cycling, I will at least concede the gesture of doing a polygraph is admirable.

Leaving out the issue of how accurate it is for the moment, if ALL Pro cyclists were subjected to this, I wonder if any of them would come back with 'negative' results? Not that it would matter - but perhaps it might make authorities at least look at these people with greater scrutiny.
    Nice idea, but can be shot down in two words:

false positives

i.e there is a high rate of people who the polygraph claims are lying who are not. Overall, the polygraph is not just slightly unreliable, it really isn't that much better than random guessing.
  • thomthom
    Pokerface wrote:

Which turned out years ago that it wasn't blood doping..
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    lie.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    If he lies, he lies.
  • RichN95.
    MrTapir wrote:
    If he lies, he lies.
    You get a round of applause for that one.
  • RichN95.
    edited August 2013
    Double post
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    MrTapir wrote:
    If he lies, he lies.

:D

love that movie
  • paulorg
    paulorg Posts: 168
    The way around the lie detector test is by telling untruths to begin with because they are looking for differences in the results to the answers you give. If you get asked what your dad's name was and say it was Dave but he was known as Roger during your baseline questions (that show what your normal, non lying response would be), when he wasn't actually known as Roger that could show up as a normal result, so any further questions where you lie would show as normal. They also look for physiological changes such as increased sweating and signs of stress when you are answering questions so if you put yourself under stress to start with and turn up sweaty, chances are you'll beat the test.
    If you buy it, they will come...

...up to you and say, you didn't want to buy one of them!!!
  • No one who isn't on something would sport a hairdo like his.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    ThomThom wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

Uhhhmmnnnn.... yeah. It was and still is blood doping. It just wasn't illegal at the time. It is now. It was still doping back then, even if it wasn't illegal.

Prior to any form of blood doping being illegal - is it still doping when first conceived? Yes.
  • thomthom
    Pokerface wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

Uhhhmmnnnn.... yeah. It was and still is blood doping. It just wasn't illegal at the time. It is now. It was still doping back then, even if it wasn't illegal.

Prior to any form of blood doping being illegal - is it still doping when first conceived? Yes.

There was definitely blood involved but he wasn't doping. It wasn't performance enhancing and it wasn't illegal.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    Difficult to take anyone who has a 'lie detector' test seriously.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    It wasn't performance enhancing and it wasn't illegal.

If it wasn't performance enhancing then why do it?
  • RichN95.
    It wasn't performance enhancing and it wasn't illegal.

If it wasn't performance enhancing then why do it?
    He had it to try to treat an illness.

And as for the the old chesnut of 'if it does't work, why do it' I would refer you to the multi billion dollar homeopathic medicine industry.
  • I think on the lookalikes thread he's listed as Iceman from Top Gun but he looks a lot like Dolph Lundgren in that pic
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • Here's a piece by INRNG on the treatment

http://inrng.com/2012/01/blood-irradiation-explained/
  • TONY.M
    TONY.M Posts: 94
    Pokerface wrote:
    Pokerface,

What about health supplements like protein powders and the like taken at specific times and quantities purely with the intent of improving performance? Is that doping then? If that is not performance enhancing then why do it? :lol:

Can it be doping but legal and guilt free?
  • B3rnieMac
    B3rnieMac Posts: 384
    swapping my kebab intake for salad would be performance enhancing, and i'm sure it's legal to do so.....I'm with Colin on this one, don't want to Food Dope so I'll stick with my mixed on naan. :lol:
  • As we know, football's favourite thing - blood spinning - isnt a banned practice

:?