Bike -> Train -> Walk - clothing advice for colder weather

xxlukexx
xxlukexx Posts: 6
edited August 2013 in Commuting general
Hi All,

I've been commuting part of the way by bike since March. The summer's been great, but I'm starting to think about when the weather cools down.

I cycle 4 miles to the train station, then after a 20min train ride I walk for another 20min to my office. My problem is that I get warm on the ride and can get away with windproof but otherwise not very bulky clothes, but then cool down on the train, and need a warm coat for the walk at the other end.

I really don't like having to carry a winter coat in my bag, just for a 20 min walk. This feels like one of these problems that there probably isn't a great solution to, but I figure that other people must run into the same problem, and wondered if anyone's got any clever advice?

Cheers,

Luke

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Lots of layers - take em off when you get hot, put them on when you get cold. btw, thought about getting another bike to leave at the other end?
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Layers. Merino wool (Sportswool) is good for a wide range of temperatures, packs pretty small, and simply does not smell, so you might want to look into a baselayer (Icebreaker are great, but expensive).

Actual advice:

I'd dress for the temperature, and I'd dress for the walk rather than the ride. 4 miles isn't that far to be a touch too cold or too warm. Take it easy on the ride because you want to be about the same temperature as you are while walking. I'd also want to avoid getting on a train having worked hard because I think I would cook as soon as I got on the filthy grimy stinking thing!

If it's cold, I'd choose an Icebreaker baselayer, then a jersey/t-shirt/whatever and something like a Gore Phantom jacket on top. They're lovely things that are perfectly capable of keeping you warm enough on a 20 minute walk with a small dose of MTFU.

As an alternative, can you cycle the entire way?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    +1 for icebreaker base layers. Merino really does get a lot less wiffy than artificial fibre base layers, and is usually warm enough to wear on its own on the bike in autumn or early spring. Lots of other manufacturers are doing merino now, particularly aimed at commuters like us. Pricey, but my icebreaker tops look the same now as they did seven years ago when I bought them.

Also seriously consider if you can ride the whole way. There must be time savings to be made for transitions at the train stations.
  • Hi,

Thanks for your replies. I'd read about merino wool when I started commuting, but didn't want to immediately spend a lot of money, so kind of made do last winter/spring. This time around, though, I don't mind spending a bit of money as a one-off. I'll look into Icebreaker stuff, sounds like it might be ideal for the walk bit.

I have tried taking it easy on the ride so as not to get too hot, but I don't really have the patience to cycle slowly enough not to warm up! OTOH, I walk pretty fast, too, so that may balance things out at the other end. :)

I have considered a fold up bike to take on the train with me, but given the cost of them, and the fact that between I'd need to deal with traffic on the Euston Road when I come out of St Pancras on my way to Bloomsbury, I don't really fancy it. Also, it's only a 20min walk, so the savings on a bike would be minimal.

Thanks again for your advice, I'm gonna go and see if any of the online shops are selling winter clothing cheap at the moment...

Luke
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    My fav merino is chocholatefish which is the genuine NZ-made 100% superfine grade. They last for years and are easy to wash.
    A useful forum of insulation is a synthetic, ultralight insulated gillet. They pack down very small and can be worn underneath or on top of windproofs. 2 windproofs form a very good insulation for very little bulk. A more sensible mix may be a windproof and an ultralight waterproof. Wear a wooly hat.
    Start the ride feeling a bit cold and you will end up at operating temp without getting sweaty. Don't ride too hard over such a short distance.