New bike x7 shifters instead of x9

Gateford_Owl
Gateford_Owl Posts: 10
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi everyone

Went to order a rockrider 9.2 from decathlon today. Was told that the bikes are now coming with x7 shifters instead of x9 shifters. Is there much of a difference.

I notice on chain reaction they are only about £25 difference for a pair. They have offered to knock £50 off or to throw in a pair of £70 spd shoes instead .

Is this a good deal am I better taking this deal and settling for the x7 shifters

Comments

• ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Take the offer, I have X9 shifters and I doubt the X7 are really much different.

I'd rather have the X7 s and the shoes or £50

There's a very fine line between drivetrain models really, SLX and XT from Shimano are literally the same other than weight, I suspect SRAM is the same
  • Go for the shoes, but do you have spd pedals ? If not it would be worth haggling . I have shimano spd pedals that also have the outer cage so at a pinch can cycle in flip flops .
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have had both X7 & X9. Not a lot in it really. The X9 is made from a slightly nicer plastic but functionally they are very similar.
    Take the X7 shifters and save for some X0 replacements.
  • The bike comes with m520 spd pedals as standard so the shoes would be a benefit
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    I think that the X9 shifters have ball bearings, where the X7s have plain bushes? I don't know whether that makes any significant difference to shift action or longevity.
  • Although I do have x9 and rate it highly I would go with the shoes. Riding clipped is different if you haven't before but you soon get used to it .
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    I've got the X7 shifters (rear) and no way would I pay for X9 ones. It activates an X4 mech and I have seamless shifts. I'd take the £50 off