1x10 chainring options

WindyG
WindyG Posts: 1,099
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
Looking to change my Scott from 3x10 HTII SLX to 1x10. I 99% of the time use the middle ring, never the granny so thinking of stepping up from a 32T to 34T with a 11-36 on the rear. So these are my option unless somebody wants to throw in other ideas i'm just not sure which option is the best, I think I will be fine with a 34T a 36T might be pushing it a bit.
A Race Face Narrow Wide and then maybe I don't need a chainguide, not sure if i'm convinced by this though:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/race-face-single-chainring-narrow-wide/

Or a Renthal Ultralite or a Hope single and use a Supertar XCR Chainkeeper
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/renthal-ultralite-sr4-chain-ring/

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/hope-single-chainring/

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=56&products_id=495

This is all for totally XC use, I just want mechanically simple and lightweight and round the £60 mark max

Comments

• paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    No experience of them personally but in my own 1x10 conversion musings I have been looking at the Wolf Tooth Components chainrings from the US or the Raceface Narrow Wides. I was looking at a 30 or 32T due to my tendancy with the 1X9 to occassionally use the 22t and 32T ratio (front to rear) for a spinning option - I figure a 30 to 36 would give me a slightly harder gearing than that but do-able.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Race face narrow wide just works.
  • WindyG
    Cheers guys, mcnultycop do you use a RF Narrow Wide? if so do you have a clutch RD or without?
    I like the idea of having as little as possible to get clogged up with mud so not using a chainguide is a preference just didn't want to have to spend even more out on a clutch RD as well.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I have a Zee Mech (so clutch) on both 1x10 set ups. Narrow wide on the FS just installed and brilliant and e13 g-ring on the HT with no guide, and still never dropped the chain on that.
  • Tomskii
    Tomskii Posts: 20
    I run 1x10. I have a Wolf Tooth 34t ring on an SLX 3x10 crank, HG81 11-36 cassette, KMC x10-93 chain and SLX clutch rear mech. No chain keeper. I've yet to dump the chain.

My old 1x9 Anthem has a Hope 34t ring and a Paul Components chain keeper.
  • WindyG
    Thanks for the replies, based on what I was thinking and your feedback I am going to go with a RF Narrow Wide 34T, I'll fit a Superstar XCR for the little bit extra chain retention security and then later on if i'm happy with the 1x10 set up I'll fit a XT Shadow +
  • booyaka
    booyaka Posts: 263
    don't waste your money on the chainguide.

Just go with the narrow/wide raceface ring - as other have said - it just works.

I'm running it with a standard XT rear mech and no chain guide and done at least 50 miles so far on hardtail, rocky/rooty stuff and not a single dropped chain.

The superstar chainguide is more of a faff than anything.

narrow/wide ring is honestly the best thing I've used in years on my bike, going to get one for the FS tomorrow as well. Very very impressed.
  • WindyG
    That is good to know , I'll try it without the chainguide to start with and see how I get on, I do race the bike and liked the idea of just having that little extra insurance the guide might offer.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Could get a helium guide, expensive but flyweight!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • WindyG
    The Rookie wrote:

Expensive for what it is, I think I could make something along those lines.
    The superstar guide came today looks ok for the money.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    WindyG wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

Expensive for what it is.
    Agreed!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Plyphon
    Plyphon Posts: 433
    Works make a narrow/wide also, at £35

http://www.workscomponents.co.uk/works- ... -270-p.asp

Out of stock atm but they get new stock every friday.
  • WindyG
    edited August 2013
    I did look at the Works ring but yeah it was out of stock and Evans had a RaceFace in stock and with a code and cashback it only cost me £35.72.

Bit frustrating I have the guide and the bolts but the ring didn't come today and I have the whole weekend to myself as well. I did remove the FD, shifter, cable and chainrings and they weighed in at 500g so a decent saving to be made going single ring.
  • I run 1x10 setup. Combination: Wolftooth 30T ring on a Zee Crank FC-M640 68/73mm Hollowtech II with CS-M771-10 cassette and rear mech XT Shadow Plus RD-M786. I haven't had a single chain drop problem. Climb well.
  • WindyG
    Well finally my RaceFace Narrow Wide turned up only weighs 38g and looks great fitted. Got a 30 mile eide done, very impressed with it, a 34T is spot on giving me ideal ratios, found myself changing gear a lot less and seemed to be able hold a more constant pace, tried to hammer over the bumpiest bits I could find, plenty of roots and the chain stayed firm. Nothing at all negative to say, I should have built the bike single ring to start with.
    raceface.JPG