Newbie ahoy!

LancsRick
LancsRick Posts: 25
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
Well as the saying goes, you don't know what you don't know, so I thought I'd post on here so some kind folk could point out what I'm oblivious to!

I've got a Boardman Hybrid Comp, put a couple of hundred miles on it so far, and I've fettled it a bit based on some reading from Sheldon's site since as soon as I got it from Halfords I could tell it wasn't set up right (shifts weren't clean, brakes rubbing etc).

Accessory-wise I've stuck on a mini pump, and a frame bag with allen keys, tyre levers, and a spare inner tube. At home there's a repair kit.

Then for me there's an obligatory helmet, and a wicking top from my running days.

The end result? I'm loving cycling and, being the slightly obsessive type, am keen to understand more about this new hobby, what I could do better etc etc. At the moment I'm getting my proficiency up so I can look to start commuting on the bike.

I have been thinking about getting a GPS computer, since in training for anything I've always been really motivated by results, and currently track my rides on my Android phone - GPS munches the battery in about an hour though! Any suggestions from you guys on GPS options that don't cost the earth?

Final thing - I had a mooch around this forum but couldn't spot a "Guide for Newbies/Newbie FAQ" - does one exist? Would save me asking even more dumb questions!

Cheers guys :)

Comments

• Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    LancsRick wrote:
    Any suggestions from you guys on GPS options that don't cost the earth?
    Garmin Edge 200, Bryton Ryder 20, Cateye Stealth 10
  • Thanks Gizmodo. I'd been eyeing up the Garmin before, so I might put that on my shopping list for a few weeks time :).

Just doing loads of reading at the moment, so much to learn!
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    LancsRick wrote:
    currently track my rides on my Android phone - GPS munches the battery in about an hour though!
    You sure it's not just an old, tired, battery, or possibly something else (like the screen) that's munching the battery?

I have an SGS3, and over 8 hours of constantly tracking my position with this (and uploading my position to tinterweb), a full battery is down to about 25%. More than enough for all practical purposes. I only changed from using that to record my rides (using Strava) to a Garmin Edge 800 because I wanted something small that would fit on the handlebars, and give me maps.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • HTC One S - Great phone to use, notoriously bad battery life.
  • doug5_10
    doug5_10 Posts: 465
    Put your phone in flight mode when using GPS to save the battery, also means you don't get bothered by calls, emails etc. while you're out.
    Edinburgh Revolution Curve
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/1920048