Advice on a 150mm full sus build.

2»

Comments

• Found a nice Trek Remedy 7, like this one http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1334546/ but cheaper. Any good?
  • punkatron1
    punkatron1 Posts: 134
    Just took at look at them, seem to have good reviews, I'll keep that in mind :) Do you have an opinion on something like this from On-one? http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/WPRYSUXF1/r ... 1_wheelset Haven't heard of that brand but it's heavily discounted.

Never heard of that brand to be honest. I seem to recall that you can send the wheels back to Superstar and they'll true them up for you. Might be of use if you're hammering them for 3 weeks straight on long euro runs.
    Too many bikes, not all fully built.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I think the Remedy has been regarded well in the press for a few years so should be good. For what its worth I tried a 2012 Remedy and really liked it. Its at the lighter end of the scale for type of bikes you're looking at so while not bomb proof I'm sure its totally up for the job.

re the wheels budget end DH wheels can weight 2kg and above. The thing putting me off the wheels from On One was the low spoke count and alu nipples which while saving weight doesn't always mean a durable wheel.
  • Okay :) What do you think of the actual On-one branded wheelsets? As they're nicely placed in my budget.
  • punkatron1
    punkatron1 Posts: 134
    Okay :) What do you think of the actual On-one branded wheelsets? As they're nicely placed in my budget.

I used an on one hub to build a front wheel. No issues with it so far. The on one stuff is fine. I have tyres, seat post and a riser bar.
    Too many bikes, not all fully built.
  • jairaj
    no idea about the on one wheel sets you got a link to any particular one? But if buying new the usual places are Merlin or Superstar
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543

On one generally build solid stuff so I don't see why the wheels will be different and they will have a good warrenty

Try and pick up some on one cockpit parts, they're good enough and very cheap
  • Yeah I was thinking of them for the finishing kit as I've used a few of their stems etc and they're dirt cheap and perfectly fine. :)
  • ej2320
    Yeah I was thinking of them for the finishing kit as I've used a few of their stems etc and they're dirt cheap and perfectly fine. :)

They've got a 60mm stem for £10 and a 760mm bar for £20, I might be wrong but that probably falls right in line with the 150mm DH focused build
  • ej2320
    Yeah I was thinking of them for the finishing kit as I've used a few of their stems etc and they're dirt cheap and perfectly fine. :)

They've got a 60mm stem for £10 and a 760mm bar for £20, I might be wrong but that probably falls right in line with the 150mm DH focused build

Have a flick through Merlin or Wiggle but £20 for a good bar is probably the best you'll get
  • ej2320
    http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/m ... ars-riser/

They have a good 700mm bar here if you want something narrower
  • jairaj
    regarding the wheelset I'd prob go with Superstars AMX wheelset. there is no info on that on one wheel set at all. The Superstar one has good hubs that can be converted easily to any axle standard.
  • Alright, I'm guessing that stem is the one with the silver coloured front plate, that one's great value. Well I've narrowed the wheels down to the superstars, on-ones, or a merlin custom build. The only issue I can think of with the Superstar wheelset is that it's a little heavy but I guess that'll mean it's probs bombproof and that's ultimately what's most important. 760mm bars sound great to me for £20.
  • ej2320
    The bars are £30 sorry
  • haha okay :) should still be okay in my budget.
  • Nearly a month later and I've bought nearly everything. Just waiting for a few finishing touches before I begin putting it all together. The spec I have is:

Frame : Trek Remedy 7 with an RP2 shock (2nd hand)
    Forks : Rockshox Sektor Coil rl (new)
    Groupset : Last gen slx (2nd hand, nearly new cond.)
    Brakes : Curren gen SLX (new)
    Wheels : Superstar customs (new)
    Bars and stem : Easton Havocs (2nd hand)
    Headset : Hope (2nd hand)
    Tyres : Schwalbe Nobby Nic Evos (new)
    And the rest is just bog standard stuff :)
    All in all it's cost me around £930. Could have done it for cheaper if I'd bought the forks second hand. :) Very pleased.