Attention Giant Glory Owners!

dirtjump
dirtjump Posts: 1,289
edited August 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I need your HELP!! I am currently having a protracted argument with Giant UK warranty Dept about the length of time left on my 2010 Glory. I have been trying to locate my owners manual that came with this bike to no avail (will keep searching this eve). As such I could really do with someone who owns a pre 2012 Glory getting me a copy of the warranty section, or ideally the whole user manual that comes with the bike. Specifically Giant say the 2010 Glory only comes with a 3 year warranty and they wouldnt replace my cracked frame.

However their OWN catalog for 2010 states that all full suspension Giant frames come with a 5 year warranty, there is no reference made in any section to the Glory being exluded or subject to a shorter term. This catalog was the one I used to buy the bike with and the 5 year warranty was one of the main reasons I went for the Glory. I am aware Giant have since changed the policy for the all post 2012 Glorys to a 3 year term(which is what the guy at Giant is feeding me). I have searched the internet dry and on all relevant forum posts people are saying it comes with 5 years. I know I am in the right here but Giant are refusing to listen, I think things are going to go legal on their ass shortly but I could do with locating a copy of the user manual to confirm the warranty terms match what it says in the catalog. TBH it would be great if someone with a Glory could just have a look and see what theirs says to prove I am not on crack here

Any assistance will be paid for with unlimited beer, fags or whatever your poison may be.

I am the original owner BTW, have the receipt and have tried to do this through my LBS to no avail. I am now fighting with Giant direct to save the LBS the hassle
<center>U to the SMBC</center>
<center>Trendy pictures</center>
<center>Meet the family

Everything I have ever said on here gets ignored
</center>

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    This one:
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/backoffic ... -v10-0.pdf (2007 generic manual) says:
    - Lifetime warranty on frames except those intended for downhill use
    - 3 year warranty on frames intended for downhill use

However, that's version 10.0 of the manual. I have a 2009 Trance X5 and my manual is version 8.0 ;D
    I thought maybe in the US the manuals are different, but I can't find any owners manuals on the UK/Ireland site.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    I tried to edit this last night but the bikeradar site was down.

My version 8.0 manual refers to the EU and said something along the following lines:
    - 10 year guarantee on non suspension frames
    - 5 year guarantee on suspension frames

However the guarantee is invalidated by:
    - Doing jumps
    - Downhill riding
    - Fitting any non original parts
    - Servicing by anyone other than a Giant dealer

Presumably you could argue that DH riding on a DH specific bike (like a Glory) shouldn't invalidate the warranty, otherwise the frame's not fit for purpose?
  • dirtjump
    dirtjump Posts: 1,289
    Yea it does say that, but then equally why would you offer the warranty with the bike in the first place. And why have they warrantied many many other Glory frames like mine (and older) using the same warranty terms. There is numerous examples of this on a range of internet forums. I mean I read that line as implying you dont get a warranty with a Glory full stop, yet I know for a fact people have got warranty replacements. It doesnt hold water in my book anyways.

I have spoken to trading standards about it today, I found my owners manual and warranty card that came supplied with the bike. They really dont have a leg to stand on with this. I rang the warranty dept again today and someone higher up the chain is going to ring me back, will see what they have to say
    <center>U to the SMBC</center>
    <center>Trendy pictures</center>
    <center>Meet the family

Everything I have ever said on here gets ignored
    </center>
  • keep to your guns and be firm and factual but clear on your expectations form Giant on how they will compensate you for their manufacturing fault
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Those 2010 frames were a bit weak. I know of a few which have cracked at the top tube - seat tube joint.