What should I be carrying?

Robin_D
Robin_D Posts: 38
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
Hullo,

I've started doing a couple of long rides (around 45 - 50 miles) a couple of times a week and am wondering what I should be carrying with me....

At the minute I take, a multitool, tyre levers, an inner tube and a basic pump and my mobile (I've started on Strava).

Kit wise, I've got a pair of sidi's, a short sleeve cycling jersey (w/pockets) a pair of bibshorts, helmet and some sunnies.

Can anyone think of any essentials that I should be carrying or ideal pieces of kit that I may benefit from?

Comments

• navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Use the search function and you will be heaven with the amount of opinions on this matter.
  • Rod11
    Rod11 Posts: 293
    ^as above, but as I've just typed this...

Another tube or patches, for the unfortunate scenario get two flats, also some emergency money isn't a bad idea. And if you're multitool doesn't have a chain tool, one of them too.

Kit wise a cycling cap is pretty handy to have - keeps the rain of the glasses. But in saying that if you're out in the rain you might want a long sleeve or arm warmers and a waterproof gilet or jacket, possibly some long bibs or leg warmers.
  • In addition to what you have listed I would add a chain tool and a quick link for the speed of chain you're using. Possibly a couple of zip ties as well. A couple of inner tubes is a good idea as it sometimes happens you don't spot the cause of a puncture the first time. Also, a "tyre boot" is handy in the unlikely even you gash the sidewall of the tyre, as it will likely get you home.

Contents of my saddlebag.
    - 2 inner tubes, wrapped in old socks to prevent chaffing (having an inner tube with a hole in it isn't ideal).
    - 3 plastic tyre levers (redundancy in case one breaks).
    - multi-tool
    - chain tool (as not part of multi-tool)
    - 10sp quicklink
    - nitrile gloves (in case of having to deal with oil bits).
    - puncture repair kit - includes glue patches and traditional vulcanising rubber patches, and tyre boot.
    - some plasters
    - £20, for cake stops or emergencies
    - I.C.E card
    - small piece of a microfibre cloth
    - couple of energy gel, and energy drink sachet.
    and when out and about near sunset I`ll also carry spare batteries for my lights.

pump and mobile goes in jersey pocket.
  • JML nose hair clippers.
  • Robin_D
    Robin_D Posts: 38
    JML nose hair clippers.

Surely that goes without saying?

Thanks for the advice, really appreciate the responses. I don't currently ride with a saddle pack, do many people use these or just cope with pockets in a jersey?
  • I'd probably prefer to ride without a saddle bag, if I'm honest, and just stuff the items into jersey pockets. Although I resorted to using a saddle bag when I forgot my spare tubes one day - sods law I could have done with them :oops: At least with a saddlebag I know I have all the kit that I might need on the bike - except my pump (which I leave inside my helmet after every ride). Leaves more room in the jersey pockets for Gillet/Windproof top, and more food :D
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The best thing you can do rather than worry about what's in your seat pack is give your bike some TLC before you leave - most on-ride mechanicals are due to poor maintenance and could have been spotted before your leave, rather than mid-ride to the frustration of your ride buddies. In particular, check your tyre for cuts and embedded flints. IME The bigger the seatpack is generally an indication of lack of preparation.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • socistep
    socistep Posts: 88
    For shorter rides, I use one bottle with water/energy drink and the other bottle has spare inner tube, pump, tool kit, levers and I don't use a saddlebag - phone, cash, shower jacket and some food in jersey pocket

For longer rides I tend to use a small saddlebag to take spare tube and toolkit/levers/puncture repair, 2 bottles for drink and the rest (inc. pump) into jersey pocket
  • PhunkyPhil
    PhunkyPhil Posts: 143
    ID and money are the things often over looked I think.