Cleaning Bike (In flat)

Greer_
Greer_ Posts: 1,716
edited August 2013 in MTB general
I started a thread about this time last year asking about security etc. I had room to put my bike somewhere if it was stinking, but this year both my bikes are staying in my room so they need to be clean-ish! I've been looking at the pressure washers with built in water storage like this. Does anyone have any other preferably cheaper options? A bucket and sponge isn't going to cut it, and there's no outside tap for a hose.

Comments

• Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    In the bath, good scrub out afterwards be fine, my mate does as he lives on the third floor.
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • Greer_
    There isn't one! And I doubt it would fit in the shower!! (and my flat mates wouldn't be overly happy either!)
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I have had one of these for a while now and I am very happy with it. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/airace-driving- ... re-washer/

I got it from evans for 75 quid. Anything cheaper probably won't last long, if they even exist.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • I use something similar to this...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pump-Action-Pressure-Sprayer-fertilizer/dp/B000TAWBBC

£7.49 plus delivery. Mine's lasted two years with regular use.
  • Greer_
    Is there enough pressure behind it to blast mud off?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Greer_ wrote:
    Is there enough pressure behind it to blast mud off?
    you dnt want to be blasting any water near a bike.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Yeah you do, just be careful where you point it. You can control the pressure anyway.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Greer_
    antfly wrote:
    Yeah you do, just be careful where you point it. You can control the pressure anyway.

+1, I use a hose at home, no issues. Need a bit of pressure to actually clean it!
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I've got one of those portable pressure washer things and they are great.

You can adjust the stream on mine so its a powerful jet or a fine mist so you don't bugger up any bearings by jet washing the grease out.

Mine is powered from the car's cigarette lighter socket but you can get adaptors so you could use the mains and long lead. Or possibly you could power it using a lead acid battery?
  • Greer_
    To those that have pressure washers, which one? And does anyone else successfully use one of those garden sprayers? Thanks :)
  • Greer_ wrote:
    To those that have pressure washers, which one? And does anyone else successfully use one of those garden sprayers? Thanks :)

I use a garden sprayer in a pinch, but having used a friends nomad leccy pressure washer I'd consider that a much better solution for gettign it actually clean.
  • jairaj
    I tried to find a link to the pressure washer I have but I can't find it any more. Mine is a very cheap one, its only the water pump and hoses. I needed to buy a jerry can to hold the water. Its not the slickest solution but it was very cheap ~£30. I'd imagine the brand X one from CRC would be of equal quality if not better.

The garden spray thingy work fine if you use a brush to shift the dirt and the sprayer to simply rinse the bike. If you are looking of something to just blast the dirt away its not going to do that but then you shouldn't be doing that any ways.
  • Greer_
    The brand-x one would be easier, but it looks like either could work then, might just take a while longer.
  • Yep, I agree with the garden sprayer thingy. Been using one for about 12 months, theres enough pressure to shift the crud but no so much it will remove grease from bearings. I also use a big soft brush and washing up liquid, but plenty of water..... the benefit of getting up close to your machine is it gives you an opportuninty to look and see what needs oiling next or what need tightening up.
  • Greer_
    Thanks :) any links? And what size of tank? I see a lot of reviews about people complaining of leaks.
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    My bike cleaning kit consists of:
    Bucket
    Brush (free with bike mag)
    House plant type watering can
    Modified wooden chopstick
    Old non-fluffy towel

The pressure from the watering can is plenty and being the small type it can be used accurately with one hand while wielding the brush with the other. The chopstick is pared down to a thin, flat blade at the end and is useful for those stubborn bits in gear mechs &c. I know it's been a really muddy ride if I need a second bucket of water.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • Don't use a pressure washer unless you want to change your bottom bracket and ruin your forks. Use a water soap and brushes.
  • Greer_
    Don't use a pressure washer unless you want to change your bottom bracket and ruin your forks. Use a water soap and brushes.

Its a pressure washer specifically for bikes, not a power hose! You missed out headset bearings and hub bearings from your list as well ... Not interested in a bucket of water as I said, mud is too sticky.
  • Greer_
    Batmo wrote:
    I know it's been a really muddy ride if I need a second bucket of water.

I tried using buckets of water before, but by the time I filled up the 5th bucket I got bored! A sponge wasn't cutting it. Need a bit of pressure to actually shift the mud.
  • jairaj
    Greer_ wrote:
    Its a pressure washer specifically for bikes, not a power hose! You missed out headset bearings and hub bearings from your list as well ... Not interested in a bucket of water as I said, mud is too sticky.

The thin jet setting on mine creates quite a thin but powerful stream. I never use this setting its a good way to mess up bearings and other bits and bobs.

It sounds like to me you are wanting to simply stand blast the mud away with a jet? I would advise you to use a brush or sponge and or cleaner to shift the dirt and simply use the pressure washer on the wider / mist setting to help rinse the dirt away.

I have a 10 litre can and if I'm being lazy and just pointing the hose at the bike sometimes its not enough to fully clean bike. Where as with a bit of scrubbing I can usually get two very muddy bikes pretty well spotless. The brushing really works much better than trying to blast the dirt away.
  • chrisrobs
    chrisrobs Posts: 135
    Ive used one of these for a few years now and it does a good job.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-8L-40-PSI ... 2c6d02fdc2