Its my Condor Super Acciaio build

JohnKempStarley
JohnKempStarley Posts: 37
edited August 2013 in Your road bikes
Hi Everyone

Just thought I'd post up details of my latest road bike build undertaken at the end of last year. The bike is based around a Condor Super Acciaio frameset and replaces my former road bike an Ambrosio Stelvio Carbon. Rather than link to flickr sites etc I've started a blog where I've put an image together with details of how I arrived at the Super Acciaio as well as an early review of how it rides. For me the blog is a learning curve as I was made redundant and its one of many small projects I've set myself to expand my knowledge and stay up to date. So make allowances as I'm only one or two days into the task. Along route to my final frame choice I received excellent feedback on titanium frames from DubaiNeil, Jordan217 and WhereisThurso, so thanks to them for the efforts in replying to me. I find the forum is good for getting first hand comments on bikes people actually live with and use, without the bias of the advertising revenue. Anyway hopefully the details I put on my blog may help in other cyclists decisions if looking for a steel road frame or similar. The address is below:-

http://www.thelonewheeler.blogspot.com

Hopefully it may be of use to someone out there in the forum.

Comments

• I've had one for a few months now, really like it. Seem to be using it more then my carbon bikes now.
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Was going to pull the trigger on one myself but then the £499 Scott frames showed up. Great looking frame in the flesh, congrats.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • Hi Gary and Koncordski
    As I'd mentioned in my overview of the super acciaio I've not ridden any modern carbon frames but if Gary you now prefer riding it then it must have some good points. I must admit price wise you can pick up a lighter complete road bike package but I've also seen many heavier bikes than this selling at £500 more. The Canyons are bargains for componentry and could be used as a donor bike for a new build when you see cost of the wheelset, groupset, seatpost etc. It was about £1200 for an ultimate Al with full Ultegra, VCLS seatpost, mavic Ksyrium Equipe wheels, gp4000s tyres you get the idea.
    The frame is beautiful Koncordski in particular the welds, virtually invisible on the headtube. When it arrived and I looked at it I felt inside I'd made the right choice. Elcyclista, who has a blog site, has a custom paint variant that to me looks top dollar. Enjoy riding the Scott Koncordski but don't pull any -1g manoevres and avoid french military aircraft :-).
  • I don't really think the weight is a issue, I have a cervelo s5 and a s works Tarmac as well,I can do the same route within a couple of seconds on all three bikes. I have custom paint on mine, super record and some hand built wheels.
  • Yes Gary weight, the odd pound plus or minus, isn't too critical, but we do get very concious of it in comparisons. Accelerating the wheel rims/tyres is a factor so I decided for now not to change some of the heavier peripheral parts that were chosen to keep cost down. Its a good bike going uphill too. Your own super acciaio must be in the middle 16's I'd imagine. Its quite a complement to it if you enjoy it as much or more than the others, they're excellent bikes.