single chainring set-up.

zr50sl
zr50sl Posts: 29
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking to run a 1x10 set-up on my pinnacle ramin 3 hardtail using a wide/narrow chainring from works components or raceface but am unsure which size of chainring would be best for general all round trail riding.The bike has a deore chainset with an 11-34 cassette.Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks,

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Where do you usually ride and how fit are you?

I can get by with a 32t on my HT but with a 11-36 Cassette. I've just put a 30t on the FS becaue that goes to steeper places (with the same size cassette). I'm a big unit and not that quick though.

What size is your middle chainring now (assuming 3x) and get you get by with just that?
  • Tomskii
    Tomskii Posts: 20
    I have a Wolf Tooth 34t ring up front and 11-36 out back on my 1x10 Whyte 109.

I mainly ride in Suffolk, so hills are things that generally happen to other people. I could probably drop to a 32 and give myself a little extra climbing ability, as I dont have much use for the 34-11 gear. I rode Bedgebury in Kent just using 32/11-36 which is a bit more hilly. Haven't tried with the 34 yet. Last year I rode around Afan on a 1x9 Anthem with 34/11-34 and could have used some lower gears.

32t is typically the minimum available size for 104bcd cranks. I don't know about the other manufacturers, but Wolf Tooth do a 30t ring.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Try going for a ride using and decide if you need more or less teeth. Personally I like 34t but mates who ride the same trails vary between 32t and 38t with 11-34 cassettes
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I'm running 36t up front with an 11-36 cassette, works fine for me, but lots of people prefer a smaller ring up front. I think 34t is a good middle ground.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • zr50sl
    Thanks for the replies guys.I'm probably slightly above average fitness wise and the current middle ring is 32 but with the bike being a 29er I am wondering whether I could go up to a 34 I currently rarely use the two highest cogs at the back when in the middle ring.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I would suggest 32 or 34, try riding in just the middle ring for a few rides, which end of the cassette do you run out of gears at?

Have a normal 34T single speed ring going spare I could do reasonably cheap if you want to try before you buy something expensive.

Assume you have a damped (clutch) rear mech?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • zr50sl
    Rookie:thanks for the offer,I dont have a clutch mech yet.Was going to try it without one to start with.The raceface single ring got a great review on pinkbike.com with and without the clutch mech.(didnt drop the chain once on a hardtail). I usually run out of gears at the lower end of the cassette before the upper.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    When you say lower do you mean easier gears, or harder gears?

A 29er effectively 'increases' the gearing by about 10% over 26" wheels, so a 32t will be similar to a 35-36t on 26" wheels. I run a 36t (on 26" wheels) with 11-36 cassette, and personally I'd not go bigger. If you really find you don't use the easiest gears then go 34t.
  • zr50sl
    njee 20:yeah tend to use the harder gears more.Thats what I thought about the 29er.I'm finding I'm pushing a bigger gear than what I was on my 26er on similar terrain.I think I'll go for 34t.Thanks for all the input.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    with an 11-36t cassette I am dithering between 32 and 30t front ring - 32t would do most of the time but I think in some areas and longer rides I might prefer to gear down - 32t seems to suggest the higher end would be better covered as well though but if I have a lower top end that is probably less concerning than not having the bail out gearing.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.