Looking ahead

jeannot18
jeannot18 Posts: 720
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
I have started riding a bit more seriously. I have notice already an improvement in my stamina, speed, etc. For the last few rides I haven't even use the smaller chainring. Do people change their chainring as they improve so that they can go a little bit faster/harder? I am not even sure what size chainring I have got right now

JC
Pédale ou crève
Specialized Elite Allez with 105
Rockrider 8.1 : )

Comments

• djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    Well a very very serious cyclist might. Do you have 2 or 3 cogs (sprockets) at the front?
    I guess it's most likely you have a 50 or 53 tooth front sprocket and an 11 or 12 at the rear.
    If this is so - you will need to get to about 50 mph even on a 50 tooth front chainring before you spin it out (ie. pedaling has no positive effect). So unless you're a sprinting god like Cavendish - which your post suggests not - then no you won't need to change it.
    Find some decent hills - you will definitely be needing the small chainring for them :-)
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    +1^
  • jeannot18
    OK thanks. Got a double at the front. I do have some hills around and lately I have been trying to use the bigger chainring to climb them. Obviously much harder than to spin with the smaller one, but I guess it makes my leg stronger, not sure if this is a good technique but I am sure someone will comment and let me know if I am doing something wrong.
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • where are these essex hills you speak of??

can grind up hills if you want rather than spin, but can cause knee issues i think.
  • dnwhite88
    dnwhite88 Posts: 285
    can grind up hills if you want rather than spin, but can cause knee issues i think.

Spinning causes far less strain on your joints than grinding the biggest gear possible as far as I'm aware which is why I avoid it
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    I'm a natural grinder - I also grind up hills to improve leg strength - it does work - with the proviso that extreme hills (15% upwards) will knacker your knees if you're not careful as mentioned by others.

Grinding up hills is most certainly not the fastest way to climb though - you will get up there faster by spinning in the highest gear that you can sustain your optimum cadence. What your optimum cadence is for you to find out be experimentation. :)
  • jeannot18
    where are these essex hills you speak of??

Thanks for the warning. Essex hills? They are not big climbs by any means but still challenging for the newcomer

JC
    Pédale ou crève