Cassettes....

WarlKicken
WarlKicken Posts: 224
edited August 2013 in Road general
Bonjour All,

Chilly this morning on my commute, can someone please explain to the World it's still Summer. Ha!

Just a quickie; got some lovely new wheels and had my Ultegra cassette moved across, I now have a pair of lovely wheels without a cassette. Considering getting another Ultegra cassette to keep it in the family BUT, my question; Is there much/ if any difference between cassettes?

The old wheels are going to be used on my commuter bike which has Tiagra groupset (but also incase I want to shove them on the 'big boy' bike)...would it matter if I got say, a 105 cassette?

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Doesn't make much difference for mortals.

I look at whatever is on offer (Shimano and Sram) and get a couple of what looks like a good deal.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I'd probably just go for a Tiagra cassette on the commuter - are you likely to use them on your big-boy bike again? Honestly?

Reason being, the commuter probably gets more abuse than the big-boy bike - so little point in having expensive toys on it - especially when performance isn't a major concern.

But - to answer your question - you can put whichever cassette you want on there - providing it's the same speed obviously!
  • WarlKicken
    Slowbike wrote:
    I'd probably just go for a Tiagra cassette on the commuter - are you likely to use them on your big-boy bike again? Honestly?

Reason being, the commuter probably gets more abuse than the big-boy bike - so little point in having expensive toys on it - especially when performance isn't a major concern.

But - to answer your question - you can put whichever cassette you want on there - providing it's the same speed obviously!

Ah, that was going to be my thinking. The only reason I might change wheels is that the super cool, expensive ones are 50mm rims. I cycled down to my parents on the coast this weekend and considered turn the bike upside down and sitting in a rubber dingy :-D I was so so so windy. Wasn't too bad at all though.

You're right. In writing this I realise I am never going to change back. Pah!
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Difference between 105 and Ultegra cassette is 3g. You won't really notice the difference until you go to Dura Ace, which is a piece of art and so smooth.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Get a Tiagra cassette, half the price of Ultegra. The only difference being a slight increase in weight and very slightly different shifting.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    WarlKicken wrote:
    I was so so so windy.
    I assume you mean IT was so so so windy ...

Really - it wasn't !
  • WarlKicken
    Slowbike wrote:
    WarlKicken wrote:
    I was so so so windy.
    I assume you mean IT was so so so windy ...

Really - it wasn't !

I did indeed mean IT :D Hahaha. It was flippin' ridic for me. I'm not a very strong rider at all. Constant battering on the front. I didn't like it much
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    I have never bought higher than 105. They truly are the workhorse for Shimano. For the price of buying 1 Ultegra cassette. I could buy two or even three 105 cassettes with different ratios for different routes. I got a 11-25 for flat out speed and a 12-27 for when I go to the Harz mountains. Where there is no chance to get any speed up whatsoever. Even the descents seem to go uphill. As mentioned. So little weight difference between some that you probably lose more weight through sweat over a decent ride.