which computer for road beginner?

zozzi
zozzi Posts: 3
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
Hello,
please help me choose the right computer for road beginner ...

Cateye Strada Wireless
http://www.cateye.com/en/products/detail/CC-RD300W/

vs

Cateye Strada Cadence
http://www.cateye.com/en/products/detail/CC-RD200/

I also have Garmin 910XT with HR belt, but no bike mount kit yet ... so I have a watches on the hand

so I need to buy something - the cheapest way is to get Garmin bike mount kit, both Cateye computers cost about the same, also about the same is the price of Garmin cadence monitor ...

so what to choose ? do I really need candence monitor ?!? is it any help for a beginner ?

Comments

• Rod11
    Rod11 Posts: 293
    Personally, I'd rather have the wireless option, especially given the wired cadence sensor gives you a lot of cabling to keep tidy.

Some people will find cadence helpful, others won't, depends what you're riding style is like. If you're prone to grinding big gears then cadence might be a helpful reminder to shift down a gear and spin a little more. But as I say, it comes at the price of having a long cable from the chainstay to your stem.
  • AwfulQuiet
    AwfulQuiet Posts: 1,857
    I use a piece of hot water pipe insulation to attach my Polar HRM to the handlebar.

Cadence monitor? Maybe read this to decide: http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/articl ... ers-16394/

On my KTM Strada I use a Mavic Wintech which has Speed, Cadence and HRM. I love it, but they no longer make it.
    <font size="1">----
    Garlic AND MARMITE Detractor

"I\'m not fat... I\'m carrying extra fuel!"
    </font id="size1">
  • KMC1993
    KMC1993 Posts: 101
    I have just returned the Cateye strada cadence monitor because i found it impossible to get working. It states the magnet and sensor have to be within 3mm which is just not possible.
  • ManOfKent
    ManOfKent Posts: 392
    KMC1993 wrote:
    I have just returned the Cateye strada cadence monitor because i found it impossible to get working. It states the magnet and sensor have to be within 3mm which is just not possible.

I used two Strada Cadence monitors for years. On one bike it was fine, the other was temperamental and eventually the cadence recording stopped working altogether. I think it's all to do with the shape of the chainstays and the cranks. I held one of my magnets in position with a lump of blu-tac to get it closer to the frame!
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    edited August 2013
    Wouldn't bother with any of 'em, save up and get a GPS computer Garmin/Bryton or similar.
  • diamonddog wrote:
    Wouldn't bother with any of 'em, save up and get a GPS computer Garmin/Brydon or similar.

Waste of money - there are far better things to invest in, particularly at beginner level, and if you really must have GPS then you can use a phone in your back pocket.

As for computers, don't disregard wired - often cheaper and work very well. Cadence measurement is a bit of a personal thing, simply because you may or may not find it useful (either now or in future); not everyone feels the need for it.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog wrote:
    Wouldn't bother with any of 'em, save up and get a GPS computer Garmin/Brydon or similar.

Waste of money - there are far better things to invest in, particularly at beginner level, and if you really must have GPS then you can use a phone in your back pocket.

As for computers, don't disregard wired - often cheaper and work very well. Cadence measurement is a bit of a personal thing, simply because you may or may not find it useful (either now or in future); not everyone feels the need for it.

1 He obviously wants a computer of some sort GPS is better than wired or non wired.
    2 He may not have a smart phone.
  • bazzer2
    bazzer2 Posts: 189
    I'd forget the Cateye computers. I liked them when they were the best quality on the market, but I had terrible trouble with a wireless one and instead invested in a Garmin Edge 500 - they really are much, much better built and if you think you're going to use Strava they will save an enormous amount of faffing.
  • diamonddog wrote:
    diamonddog wrote:

1 He obviously wants a computer of some sort GPS is better than wired or non wired.

He might not have a smart phone, but he could procure a very basic one cheaply for less than the cost of an overpriced GPS computer.

GPS computers aren't 'better'; better computers have GPS (though that doesn't account for the interference issues that wireless computers sometimes experience that wired ones do not). They are also much more expensive, and GPS alone does not warrant the expense. There are many components of cycling paraphernalia in which there is a 'better' choice, but that doesn't mean that everybody needs it. Buying a computer with more facilities that are actually useful for serious training (eg. HRM) may make sense, but that still doesn't mean that a complete beginner needs them just yet, and there are still cheaper ways to do it.

For a complete beginner, all that's needed is speed and time (eg. Sigma, CatEye, VDO, £10-20). There are far better uses of money.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog wrote:
    diamonddog wrote:

He might not have a smart phone, but he could procure a very basic one cheaply for less than the cost of an overpriced GPS computer.

GPS computers aren't 'better'; better computers have GPS (though that doesn't account for the interference issues that wireless computers sometimes experience that wired ones do not). They are also much more expensive, and GPS alone does not warrant the expense. There are many components of cycling paraphernalia in which there is a 'better' choice, but that doesn't mean that everybody needs it. Buying a computer with more facilities that are actually useful for serious training (eg. HRM) may make sense, but that still doesn't mean that a complete beginner needs them just yet, and there are still cheaper ways to do it.

For a complete beginner, all that's needed is speed and time (eg. Sigma, CatEye, VDO, £10-20). There are far better uses of money.
    The OP said they want to spend THEIR money on a computer not a smart phone or anything else bike related.
    GPS computers do not need stupid sensors on the forks and spokes that could move on our stupidly crap roads and damage not only the OP's bike but also the OP so in that respect they are better.
    Thank you and goodnight, Elvis has left the building.
  • :lol:

So GPS is less accurate but better because of a non-existent problem with sensors? Wow...
  • I'm very happy with my Sigma computer.
    Best one I've ever used. BC1609 model I think, great thing. Has an optional cadence add-on if you want that.
    FCN 7

"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate, Watson"
  • diamonddog wrote:
    The OP said they want to spend THEIR money on a computer not a smart phone or anything else bike related.
    GPS computers do not need stupid sensors on the forks and spokes that could move on our stupidly crap roads and damage not only the OP's bike but also the OP so in that respect they are better.
    Thank you and goodnight, Elvis has left the building.

Very odd! My cateye sensor is tied on by standard cable ties and down bumpy roads and off road gravel routes it's never stopped working or gone out of alignment.
  • diamonddog
    Mine did constantly, just kept going out of alignment and slipped towards the magnet on the spokes sometimes so decided to get a GPS. If it works for you and others then that's fine but I prefer a GPS :)
    Edit: Mine is now fitted on the the turbo bike and does a fine job.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    So bored with all this beginner stuff. Just get an Edge 500 for £126 and then when you are no longer a beginner you do not have to buy a second computer ;-)

Beginner bikes, computers, shorts, shoes, etc. etc. etc. sounds a time consuming and expensive way of doing things to me lol.

How long do beginners generally plan on being a beginner?

If its budget then say budget, being a beginner has nothing to to with buying a cateye over an Edge.

I would get the Garmin rubber handlebar mount for the Forerunner (£8?) and save up for an Edge.
    Not much point in buying a cadence sensor now as you may as well get a premium hr and cadence sensor Edge package.

I used a Forerunner on the bike for ages until the short battery life became an issue.
    Wish I had got the Edge a lot sooner now I have one.
  • andg
    andg Posts: 4
    Where can you find an Edge 500 for £126?
  • diamonddog
    Carbonator wrote:
    So bored with all this beginner stuff. Just get an Edge 500 for £126 and then when you are no longer a beginner you do not have to buy a second computer ;-)

Beginner bikes, computers, shorts, shoes, etc. etc. etc. sounds a time consuming and expensive way of doing things to me lol.

How long do beginners generally plan on being a beginner?

If its budget then say budget, being a beginner has nothing to to with buying a cateye over an Edge.

I would get the Garmin rubber handlebar mount for the Forerunner (£8?) and save up for an Edge.
    Not much point in buying a cadence sensor now as you may as well get a premium hr and cadence sensor Edge package.

I used a Forerunner on the bike for ages until the short battery life became an issue.
    Wish I had got the Edge a lot sooner now I have one.

Some common sense here from Carbonator IMO.
  • rattyc5
    rattyc5 Posts: 84
    Handtec are cheap for garmin edge 500
  • I've been cycling for just over a year now and I'm only just considering myself to be out of the beginner phase. But there's still so much I need to learn, especially about maintenance etc.
  • I suppose it all depends what you want. I've just bought my first road bike, but have been cycling many miles on a hybrid. Only really interested in how far and average speed, and the wired CatEye VELO 8 models work well for that. Road bike has a CatEye Strada Wireless, simply because of issues fitting a velo sensor. I have not yet felt the need for a cadence sensor.

As one of the may who has no smartphone, I also have a Garmin Edge 200, gimmicky yes, but nice to upload to Strava etc and keep track of what rides you and your fellow bikers have been doing.
  • Carbonator wrote:

Beginner bikes, computers, shorts, shoes, etc. etc. etc. sounds a time consuming and expensive way of doing things to me lol..

On the face of it, this logic appears sensible, but without cadence sensor and HR, a Garmin computer is just a very expensive toy - these functions are what you need if you are buying a powerful computer for training. Fine if you have a sizable disposable income, but if you do not, the cost of high quality clothing, shoes and tools make that a huge waste of money for a beginner. £10-20 is a modest expense for most if not all of us reading, and it will pay for a computer with all of the essential features. (which could be a backup, or go on another bike, etc, later.)

But there's no such thing as a 'beginner' computer. Mine is a wired Sigma BC1009. Actual speed, time, distance and average speed can go a very long way for serious training. I'd opt for a cheaper HR and cadence-equipped Sigma or CatEye over a Garmin, unless I were willing to pay for navigation.