Attention Canyon riders

theonlyzane
theonlyzane Posts: 19
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
Well being as my work decided to allow only £500 for my new horse I decided to have a look at slightly more expensive bikes 1200-1400 is my new budget.

Well the first things i did was head to Canyon as everyone had been raving about this and Ive seen these.

http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=3026#tab-reiter2

and

http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=3013#tab-reiter2

Both look really well specced but before i lay down some cold hard cash I need to know the following

1) How long is the lead time before delivery? I'm sure Ive seen about 6 weeks
2) How build is the bike when its delivered? do i need to do anything when i get it?
3) How does the service work for the bike? sounds like home visits from what I read but really not sure.
4) Has anyone had to send one back? if so is it an easy process?

My only concern is that its online purchases and I'm not 100% sure on this method at the mo.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    "in-house" does not mean "home visits". It means in their 'house'. They're quite good about small things; usually suggesting you get it done by your LBS and send them the receipt. Bigger stuff means sending it back, at their cost though.

Chances are at this time of year if something is out of stock then it's gone for good until next years stock comes in. For Canyon that usually seems to be about September-to-November-ish for most standard models.

There's a big "Canyon owners' thread" on here. Check there for more detailed experiences.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    It'll tell you the lead time on the bike in question, they are fairly accurate. Delivery then takes about 4-5 days from Germany (all well tracked).

You need to fit the bars and wheels and pump up any suspension. Gears are all indexed, etc. They supply a shock pump and their own torque allen key thing.

There is no "service" to speak of (i.e. like the 6 weeks check over you'd get from LBS or Halfords).

I had some minor issues (missing hose clips, minor scratch) and they sent the clips and knocked me some cash off.

I wouldn't worry about an online purchase from within the EU.

As above though, read the big Canyon Bikes Thread on here.