FOX FLOAT 140 Seal Problem

andyg1966
andyg1966 Posts: 63
edited August 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I have just replaced the leg seals and oil on my 2011 Fox Float 140's RL. These are the new low friction SKF seals.

I cycled the damper to remove as much oil as possible. Refilled the damper side with 160ml of 10wt fork oils and 30ml on the spring side. The seal was fully seated using a socket over the seal to ensure it was fully home.

The problem I have is the damper side oil seal lifted out of its seat on its first ride, when pressed back down mid ride, it lifted straight out as if the leg was somehow pressurized.

Baffled! anyone got any ideas.
Trek Stache 8 29er
Orange Five Pro 2011
Rock Lobster Team Ti (Custom) 2010
Whyte Stirling - Hybrid
Southdowns MTB Club http://www.southdownsmtb.co.uk/

Comments

• DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    When you refit the seal, make sure the fork is compressed all the way down I.e. let all the air out. Sounds like you have air trapped in the fork leg.
  • DCR00 wrote:
    When you refit the seal, make sure the fork is compressed all the way down I.e. let all the air out. Sounds like you have air trapped in the fork leg.

The best way to ensure the seal it fitted properly is to turn the bike upside down and let all the air out and completely removing the lowers (thus keeping all your new oil in the stanchions whilst you check the seals) this way you can see if the seal pulls out easily by hand. If so i'd be sending them back for another set of seals. If the seal is fine you'll be able to ensure the seal is seated properly this time and re-fit

You definitely put the right volume in the right leg?