Road Bike Rip Off

Neil_aky
Neil_aky Posts: 211
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
Just been getting my old hybrid ready for some Winter riding and needed to replace a broken derailleur, I bought a cheap Shimano Altus unit then found out that I also needed to replace my shifters as the SRAM twist shifters work on a different ratio to Shimano - you live and learn! Bought Altus trigger levers and shifters.

The shifters and derailluer cost a total of £35.

I wasn't expecting great performance but I was wrong, my gear changes are crisp, the triggers are smooth and easy to operate and my bike changes gear much slicker than my Shimano 2300 equipped road bike.

I know 2300 is bottom of the rung but a pair of 2300 shifters cost £90!

Surely we are being ripped off for our road bike equipment!

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    They probably feel nice because they are new.

I replaced my Sora derailleur with a 105 (same shifters) and the improvement was instant. Now a few months later it's starting to feel sloppy again. The cable snapped this morning so maybe replacing it will bring back the precise feeling it had before.
  • It seems to me most bike shops these days are more about sales then they are about enthusiasts
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I know what you mean. The 8-speed MTB trigger shifters on my touring bike knock my 105 brifters into a cocked hat. Rifle-bolt precision shifts, even under power, even hauling a fully laden bike.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Oh no £90! Try riding record and then its due time to replace the cassette.