Advice Sought- Handlebar Width

zanelad
zanelad Posts: 269
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
Hello,

I am seeking advice as to whether it is worthwhile changing my handlerbars for some that are wider.

The ones on the bike are 42cm. I am a biggish chap with a width across the shoulders of 48cm. I've been reading that ones bars should be the same width as ones shoulders. I haven't seem bars 48cm wide, but I wonder if a set of 46cm bars would be a worthwhile change.

Firstly, is this correct? It seems that whatever one reads there also a contradiction written too.

What benefits would I get? I ride for pleasure, to keep fit and lose weight. I'm not chaisng PBs or looking to race or
boast on the web about ny exploits, I could do that without changing the bars :D Would I feel more comfortable on the bike?

Would I notice any befefit to my breathing?

One other thing, bars seem to go from £20 to £300. I'm not thinking of buying £300 carbon one piece ones with an integral stem, but what's the difference in ones costing £20 say to ones around £70?

Thanks in anticipation of some good advice and amusing pisstakes.

Z.

Comments

• frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    How do you ride on the hoods? Do you grip them from outside the bars or rest your palms on them?
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Try 46s. Deda RHM 01 are very good and a very good price!
    You'll find them a bit more comfortable at the right width.
    The difference between 20 and 70 quid ones is weight. About the same as a packet of crisps or two...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • zanelad
    I ride on the hoods for 99% of the time.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Wider bars also give better control, although some sacrifice this for less frontal area.

Personally I ride wide bars as I like the extra control.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Here's what I have found works for many people to find the right bar width. Straddle your bike and hold your arms out with elbows bent to get somewhat close to your riding position with hands on the hoods. Maintaining this position spread your arms out and in until you find the most natural feeling width between your hands, it should feel like you're neither forcing your arms out or inward. Lower your arms to determine the difference with your current setup. There's your answer. Doesn't work for everyone but give it a try.
  • zanelad
    Well on NapoleanD's advice I've bought a pair of 46cm Deda RHM 01s and some swanky new bar tape.

Let's see how they feel.

Thanks for the replies.

Z.
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    Too late I know but FWIW I have 48 inch chest and I changed my bars from the original 42 inch to 46 inch now (I did find 48 inch but they are harder to source) - and it worked an absolute treat for me - I got a lot more control and comfort from the bike afterwards.
    Next time I'll be less hasty and get a bike that fits me properly from the outset ;)
  • zanelad
    Thanks DJM it makes the spend less less optimistic now. Although to be honest they weren't that dear.

It's amazing how much info you pick up about cycling once you get into it a bit and start reading about it.

It would never have occurred to me that handlebars come in different widths they all kind of look the same to the untrained eye.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    djm501 wrote:
    Too late I know but FWIW I have 48 inch chest and I changed my bars from the original 42 inch to 46 inch now (I did find 48 inch but they are harder to source) - and it worked an absolute treat for me - I got a lot more control and comfort from the bike afterwards.
    Next time I'll be less hasty and get a bike that fits me properly from the outset ;)

Surely 42 INCH wide bars were wide enough!! :wink:
  • zanelad
    I wouldn't get the bike out of the shed with 48 inch bars :-)

Anyway, the new bars arrived (excellent service from Wiggle) so as soon as I've finished the Haribo I'll fit the bars and see if they feel any different/better than the narrower ones.

Watch this space as they say......
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    hold your arms out with elbows bent to get somewhat close to your riding position with hands on the hoods. Maintaining this position spread your arms out and in until you find the most natural feeling width between your hands,

How do you know what feels most natural? I suggest trying it standing, holding a short piece of stick (eg broomstick) in each hand rather than nothing or a handlebar. Shake out and relax your shoulders, elbows and wrists and hold the sticks out in a neutral position.
    Do that once a day for a few days till you get the hang of a neutral position. When I was learning Tai Chi, it took quite a while to really understand what a natural position felt like.
    Once you know where you like your hand grip position, get someone to measure the distance across from the web of the hand. That is the width of your hoods position. Bars may differ in the width at the tips and at the hoods.
  • I had the same problem last year, bike came with 42" wide bars but my chest is 50". I rode with it for a while then read about getting wider bars.

I then bought 46" bars and wasnt expecting that much difference, but it really made a difference to me. Straight away i could feel i wasnt crushing my chest with my arms and breathing is much easier as your arms are place wider so allowing you to expand your rib cage better.

Would definitely recommend wider bars if you have a 48" chest.
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    nochekmate wrote:
    djm501 wrote:

Surely 42 INCH wide bars were wide enough!! :wink:

You know, I never thought about that - yeah I guess it's cm! :oops:
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    I went the other way. I had 42s and thought I really needed 44s but they are very slightly less comfortable. I could not figure out a good way of checking the bar width either.