Loose pedal insert on K-Force Light Chainset

hstiles
hstiles Posts: 414
edited February 2014 in Workshop
I noticed yesterday that the drive side pedal insert on my K-Force light cranks is loose. I know it's a documented problem, but what it harder to ascertain is how successful people have been at claiming under warranty. I bought mine from CRC in late July 2012.

Comments

• psychle
    psychle Posts: 83
    A couple of weeks ago I noticed a problem with the non-drive side crank of my FSA K-Force. It wasn't the pedal insert, it was the splined insert at the other end of the crank which had become unbonded from the carbon.
    I went back to the retailer, explained the problem, put a little video clip on you tube showing the fault and they have arranged for it to go back to them. I now await further developments but so far I am happy with the retailers responses.

"Like a pig towing a cart-load of sausages - I draw my own conclusions"
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I think FSA have 2 year warranty.
    I sent mine back to Planet-X and after a long wait they replaced with much more expensive version.

I'm always a bit disappointed with FSA stuff.
    exercise.png
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    TheStone wrote:
    I think FSA have 2 year warranty.
    I sent mine back to Planet-X and after a long wait they replaced with much more expensive version.

I'm always a bit disappointed with FSA stuff.

Agreed. My cross bike and Raleigh SP Comp road bike both came with Gossamer chainsets and I've bent both sets of chainrings. I also bent the chain rings on the K-Force Light chainset. The basic Bottom Brackets are more expensive than Shimano Dura Ace and seem to wear out much quicker. Also, the end caps on the Gossamer cranks are prone to wear make them impossible to remove.

I'm going to stick with 105.
  • Bought mine from CRC in Feb 2013 but by Jan 2014 the insert that the pedal threads into on the right crank has developed a wobble. Just regular riding on muddy trails. Pedal was last installed in March 2013. Initially had thought the pedal had come loose but it was the crank. Have had a FSA SL-K crank for over two years and have had no problem with that other than the ceramic bearing seizing up and that one I regularly rode in extreme conditions. Have returned it to CRC under warranty.
  • Glad to say I got a refund. Have replaced FSA crank with Shimano XTR M980 10 speed crank.

Happy with Chain Reactions refund policy. Usually 2/3 weeks with FSA cranks.

Now finding myself moving more onto Shimano parts away from Avid (brakes) and FSA (cranks). Although should report FSA SLK crank still working fine, just the K-Force Light I had problems with.