Hydraulic disc brake recomendations

telsun
telsun Posts: 25
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
A friend has a CB Cape Wrath fitted with Quad QHD -1 brakes but the rear has lost one of the magnets that hold the pad in place rendering it pretty useless, it also needs new pads front and rear too.

As I understand it Quad are now out of business so the chance of getting a new little magnet are pretty slim so can you recommend a decent set of new disc brakes that I can fit for him? I don't suppose they have to be hydraulic I just want to take them out off the box, bolt them on and for them to work extremely well...

Cheers

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Shimano.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    cooldad wrote:
    Shimano.
    This, just the entry level Deores will do.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • AVOID Avid Elixirs - have had no end of bother with them, have spent so much on getting them rebled, repaired etc I should've just got new brakes.
  • I have avid elixir 9 and have no bother at all just to redress the anti avid position. From what I have read older avid did have problems but they have upped their game .I certainly couldn't want for more easily tuneable reliable stopping power.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    the entry level M615 deores are a decent brake and not expensive either for a set plus they are easy to shorten the hose.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Quad=Clarkes, you may be able to get a magnet from them.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Tom Barton
    Tom Barton Posts: 516
    Another vote for anything shimano here.
  • Another vote for Shimano deores. I have the older M535 and put new pads in the other day and I forgot how good they are. A lot better than the Avids on my mate's Boardman. I can stop quicker than him in our pointless brake test.
    They scream in the wet though.
  • pete_s
    pete_s Posts: 213
    Definitely Shimano Deore's. £40 each from Wiggle is an absolute bargain. Make sure you buy some oil and the bleed cup at the same time because the hoses are ridiculously long and the factory bleed on them is pants.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    I have avid elixir 9 and have no bother at all just to redress the anti avid position. From what I have read older avid did have problems but they have upped their game .I certainly couldn't want for more easily tuneable reliable stopping power.

Elixir 9 or above it fine, it's the lower end ones that are a bit dodge
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    ej2320 wrote:
    I have avid elixir 9 and have no bother at all just to redress the anti avid position. From what I have read older avid did have problems but they have upped their game .I certainly couldn't want for more easily tuneable reliable stopping power.

Elixir 9 or above it fine, it's the lower end ones that are a bit dodge

no issues with the elixir 3's on my son's bike