Marks In Steerer.

jedi_master
jedi_master Posts: 888
edited August 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
There's a few marks on the lower part of the steerer. I'm sure I have not noticed them before, and there's no where that I can see for it to rub. It feels like the gold coating has come off rather than actually cutting into the metal, they are on the front as well, just not as prominent, but not on the sides.

There wasn't any fillings inside the headtube/around the headset when I took them out. So what has likely caused these marks? Is it just wear & tear as this is the first set with an aluminium steerer that I've had and more importantly, are they safe to ride?

http://imgur.com/9Gbud8A

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    All I can think of is the headset wasnt adjusted properly and its rubbed against the bottom bearing cup. What frame and what headset.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Looks like something is trapped inside the headtub above the lower headset bearing, there shouldn't be anything able to touch there at all!

Assuming you've taken the crown race off the steerer as it's not fitted in that photo?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yeah crown race removed. The lip on the lower head cup is lower than the marks. When I removed the forks there didn't seem to be anything in there.

Frame is a GT Avalanche and the headset is a superstar semi-intergrated.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    When I removed the forks there didn't seem to be anything in there.
    There was......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.