Does an expensive helmet matter?

poejollard
poejollard Posts: 41
edited August 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi all.

Just bought myself a new entry level road bike (Felt Z95) in the sale for £500. I'm so excited! Upon waiting for it to arrive, I am going to go and get relevant accessories and clothing for it, such as new lights, a computer, pedals, shoes, shorts and a jersey.

However I currently own a cheap helmet that I bought for mountain biking a month ago that to be honest I have not used (a Giro Skyline). Is it worth upgrading this helmet to something more? I don't see how, apart from weight and temperature, a helmet that is more expensive will do for protection.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I have an expensive head, so naturally an expensive helmet was the only way to go.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    All helmets pass a European safety standard, so probably offer similar amounts of protection. Use the helmet for a while-no need to upgrade if it fits and is comfy.
  • No, your helmet will be fine.

Replace it if you have a spill or it degrades in any way

Until then happy riding
  • Thanks for all the responses guys! Think I'm just gonna leave it as it is for now. Haha Grill like your style - happy riding all!
  • people spend a lot for the aesthetics of them usually/aero benefits. noone likes the dreaded mushroom head :evil:
  • Dmak
    Dmak Posts: 445
    Hmmm had mine over 3 years now.

Can someone suggest some reasonably priced slick hats?
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    Your helmet will be fine. The big difference is that road helmets don't have peaks. I understand this is because of the different riding position - it may obstruct vision a little, but may also be affected by wind.

All helmets meet the same standards, so what do you get as you go up the price range? different styling, adjustability, comfort, weight, aerodynamics and ventilation.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    You don't need a new one, it doesn't mean you don't want one :)
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    specialized are tested to the SNELL standard - does that make an impact on if they are better or not?
  • Have you tried riding without a helmet?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    samsbike wrote:
    specialized are tested to the SNELL standard - does that make an impact on if they are better or not?

All helmets are tested to EU standards, US helmets tend to be tested to SNELL which some say is slightly more stringent in places. Everyone regards the EU standards as more than adequate to fully test a helmet though.
  • focuz
    focuz Posts: 150
    Love my mojito!
    +1 Mojito, most comfortable helmet ive ever had, and no mushroom head either.
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    I am also a mojito fan. Liked the colour scheme of the Dieci better, but Mojito fits rather nicely - it feels secure without the strap fastened.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • Have you tried riding without a helmet?

Yes - I have only worn a helmet when doing some mountain biking. As far as on road I don't on my mountain bike as the commutes have been short. However when on a road bike I will start to wear one as I will be going faster and with less grip etc.

I haven't worn a helmet for long road cycling rides yet so I guess I'll judge the comfort when it comes round to it.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    poejollard wrote:
    I don't see how, apart from weight and temperature, a helmet that is more expensive will do for protection.Thoughts?
    I saw an extensive test of helmets from cheap to expensive about three years ago but unfortunately can't find it anywhere. In any case the test showed that many cheaper helmets offered better protection due to the fact that the heavier materials used did a better job of absorbing hits. Not a universal truth among all helmets within all price ranges but generally yes. What you're paying for in an expensive helmet is lightness, ventilation, better retaining straps, comfort and wearing what the "pros" wear but in some cases not better protection. If I can find the test I'll post it as it showed the results for each helmet by name.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I just bought a Specialized Prevail at half it's normal 160 quid price (they may have some left if you're quick), far more than I'd normally spend. The big difference is that the fit is fantastic, hard to describe but it just stays put and is very comfy. I never felt my old helmet was the right size but even so this is far more adjustable. Also it has far nicer thinner straps made from a good quality material and I find they don't irritate me. So in my opinion expensive lids are better, but wait until you see them discounted and get a bargain.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • I had a cheapish (£60) Met and when it got damaged in a crash my missus sanctioned a no cost limit replacement so I got a Giro Aeon = its a night and day transformation. Giro fit, comfort and ventilation is much much better than the Met. I wore the Met for 4 years and thought it fitted ok until I did a few miles with the Giro and realised it never fitted me properly.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    That's exactly my experience of upgrading too.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Druidor
    Druidor Posts: 230
    I am currently using a cheap Argos helmet. Its a bit bulky and will be getting something more streamlined and lighter like the Carrera Razor soon.

But for now its doing its job.
    ---
    Sensa Trentino SL Custom 2013 - 105 Compact - Aksium Race
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Stueys wrote:
    samsbike wrote:

All helmets are tested to EU standards, US helmets tend to be tested to SNELL which some say is slightly more stringent in places. Everyone regards the EU standards as more than adequate to fully test a helmet though.

I wish those bloody aussies did.....they operate a rort telling everyone they're standards are superior which allows them to swap a label and charge more than double the rest of the world. <rant over> :wink: