Tyres for Stans Arch Ex

frankspencer1979
frankspencer1979 Posts: 525
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
Ok, so I've been defeated by the hans dampf on these rims. I've tried with rim tape and tube, with gaffer tape and tube and with stans tubeless kit, and the tyre will not go on the rim. Simple as that.

Can anyone recommend me an alternative tyre combo that will go on these rims (26" by the way.)

I'm after a bit of an all rounder combo that's kinda biased towards going downhill as opposed to being faster rolling. For general trail use, days out in the Lakes and occasional visits to places like Antur stiniog and Stile cop. Bit of everything really!

Most important though, they've got to go on these bloody rims!! Even if I'd got the HD's on there's no way I could've repaired a puncture in the middle of nowhere. I would like to try tubeless, but with the peace of mind i can throw a tube im in an emergency.

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    I've had HD, Wicked Will, Ice Spiker Pro, Maxxis Crossmark, Ardent, ADvantage, Highroller, Minion (DHF and DHR), Larsen TT, Kenda Nevegals, and probably a bunch of others. All were standard(-ish) models, folding bead, around 2.35", non-TLR apart from the Schwalbe ones, which went up easiest. The others weren't bad either though. Most of the Maxxis and the Nevegals have been run with tubes too.

All those were just with Stan's tape and a valve.
  • warpcow wrote:
    non-TLR apart from the Schwalbe ones, which went up easiest..

If that"s the case, why can't I even get the tyre onto the rim, let alone try and pump the bugger up!? I don't want to go and buy High rollers or minions and just find myself in the same situation if it's just me being a cretin.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Are they TLR or UST?
  • They're tlr.
  • mcnultycop
    My TLR Fat Albert was really difficult to get on my Flows (with tube), but it now seems a bit easier to change after use.

Still don't fancy getting a picture in the wet though.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Rubber Queens. Go on easily. Easy to set up tubeless and far better than the Hans Dampf in all conditions if you get the black chilli compound.
  • Rubber Queens. Go on easily. Easy to set up tubeless and far better than the Hans Dampf in all conditions if you get the black chilli compound.

This sounds more like it. Is the recommendation to have black chilli front and rear? *edit* I'm guessing it is after looking around a bit, but I need ProTection for them to be tubeless? I can only see them at bike-discount.
    mcnultycop wrote:
    My TLR Fat Albert was really difficult to get on my Flows (with tube), but it now seems a bit easier to change after use.

Still don't fancy getting a picture in the wet though.

I can't even lever the hans dampf's onto the rim with just a thin layer of gaffer tape in place, and I have got the first bead right into the well as you're supposed too. Even if by some miracle I did get them on, I'd be paranoid about getting a puncture the whole time because there'd be nothing I could do (other than carrying a spare set of alternative wheels everywhere with me!)

I've also read that if the tyres are so tight; that if they do go on they can mess with the spoke tension!? I get the idea behind that, don't know if it would happen, but it doesn't sound good.
  • mcnultycop
    I'd heard that, and I lost all tension in my Superstar build too after maybe 100km. Don't know if that was a coincidence though.
  • Well I've just had another crack at this and the HD's have gone on relatively easily! Don't really understand what I've been doing different but there we go, they're on! Not put any sealant in yet but they pumped up pretty easy, will have to check on them tomoz to see if they're still firm.

Am still a bit concerned about putting a tube in with the HD's in an emergency, gonna have to have a practice run with that before I head out into nowhere.