MTB for winter trails and Daily shop runs

dashik
dashik Posts: 156
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi.

So after a year on the road bike and loving it I've decided to get a MTB for Winter (and occasional Summer) trail use.

I'm also going to use it for back and forwards to the supermarket most days as I like to shop for fresh stuff daily and taking the car is ridiculous when you realise that its not even 4 miles each way in a straight line on the cycle path.

I reckon Id save £20 per week on fuel alone.

So apparently 29'r is the way to go. I'm 5'6" and I'm looking at s Specialized Rockhopper for around £580 (2014 model) from the local bike shop with attendant benefits and goodwill. Or should I just go for a 26" MTB? There's a few on the budget bike thread here that appear good, the Decathlon RockRider 8.1 for around £550 or there's a couple of Carrera's from the dreaded Halfords at £350 to £450 as well.

There's no real rush so would I be better building myself a 29'r from the Planet X On One Inbred frame? That is currently the favourite plan.

I also considered trying to see if I could get a £10 special from ebay but there either junk or nearly the same price as a decent new bike.

Thanks for the thoughts :D

James

Comments

• 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    For that money a 26" will be better value, the rockrider is usually the go to choice. Although the Boardman comp is reduced at the moment but around £650.

That said if you want a 29er, the voodoo bizango is decent value at £599. I picked one up for commuting and as a second mtb. It as the advantage of adjustable drop outs if you want o go single speed.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    The Rockhopper really is bottom end stuff, you'll get a far better bike with far better kit on it than that. As mentioned, the boardman/voodoo are far better value, though a 29er is superb in the Winter for going over stuff.
  • dashik
    Thanks, Looks like the Voodoo 29r is discontinued at Halfords....
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    They have some in store or can get in from other stores. When I got mine they said new stock were arriving September but managed to track one down.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • dashik
    Well I'll give them a call and see what the plot is. That voodoo Bizango looks like it could be a decent buy. I get an extra 10% off for British Cycling membership :D
  • mali01
    mali01 Posts: 81
    The frame on the Rockhopper is worthy of upgrading with some choice parts. I swapped out the fork for a budget rockshox xc32 and the shifters and mechs for Shimano SLX and its a completely different bike. It also worked out a fair bit cheaper than the one up from standard rockhopper comp, and better spec for it. Mine is a 2013 model.
  • punkatron1
    punkatron1 Posts: 134
    Inbred all day long. Its the type of bike you'll keep for a long time. Boardmans, Carreras and Rockriders whilst good value are something to get you into the sport.

Buy once and keep the frame for a decent amount of time would be my advice. Parts can be upgraded cheaply. Invest in the frame, forks and wheels.
    Too many bikes, not all fully built.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    They have some in store or can get in from other stores. When I got mine they said new stock were arriving September but managed to track one down.

I asked at my local Halfords and they knew nothing about new stock of the Bizango. I am keeping an eye on the website just in case they sneak them into the country. Hoping they havent bumped up the price or downgraded the kit.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • dashik
    I called the local branch and asked and the lad checked and said they are expecting more in 'soon' (tm).

To be honest its coming down to either the Rockhopper with attendant warranty and local help etc or a Planet X On One Scandal frame and then source all the bits 2nd hand cheap as to get the bike riding then upgrade via the local bike shop as he's reasonable with prices asap.
  • stubs
    If your looking at On One I would go with an Inbred. I got mine for £99 in a sale it has rack mounts and can be run single speed, derailler gears or hub gears. Its not the lightest frame ( I think my 18" frame weighs 5.5 pounds) but should last years as a multi purpose bike. If mine gets stolen I will be annoyed but not too bothered as the only new parts apart from the frame are the Wellgo pedals everything else including the headset, BB and chain is 2nd or 3 rd hand.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • dashik
    The reason I was leaning towards the Scandal V2 frame is that it can take both straight and tapered headsets.

I could then chuck the cheapest fork I can get in there to start with and go from there. I'd spend cash on the saddle though as that's one place not to skimp :D

I'd also be inclined to get decent pedals and grips at the start.
  • stubs
    Dashik wrote:
    The reason I was leaning towards the Scandal V2 frame is that it can take both straight and tapered headsets.

I could then chuck the cheapest fork I can get in there to start with and go from there.

Good call never thought of that :)
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Theres a 456 Evo 2 not a scandal ;) Scandals alu the 456 is Steel either way cracking frame
  • punkatron1
    punkatron1 Posts: 134
    Step83 wrote:
    Theres a 456 Evo 2 not a scandal ;) Scandals alu the 456 is Steel either way cracking frame

456 evo2 won't take a tapered steerer. Its not a huge issue really. Scandal or 456 it'll be a cracking ride. My 456 summer season is an absolute blast and won't be replaced any time soon.
    Too many bikes, not all fully built.