types of clipless

surfatwork
surfatwork Posts: 82
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
What are the advantages that the different types of clipless pedals have? for example, is SPD-SL "better" then SPD, and if so, why? Or is Look/Speedplay/whatever better than other types?
2011 Scott S30
2004 Trek 4500
2009 Trek 7.1

Comments

• Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    surfatwork wrote:
    What are the advantages that the different types of clipless pedals have? for example, is SPD-SL "better" then SPD, and if so, why? Or is Look/Speedplay/whatever better than other types?
    That's like saying what's the advantages of Ford vs Vauxhall vs Renault.

SPD are called a Mountain Bike system normally but can also be used on Road bikes. The main advantage is the cleat can be recessed in the shoe which makes walking much easier. If you want to walk a lot on your ride then this is the best option. SPD attaches to the shoe using 2 screws.

All others are Road systems - SPD-SL, Look, Time, Speedplay all have those supporters and critics. Not much between them apart from price. Speedplay attach to the shoe using 4 screws, all the others use 3 - Speedplay come with a 4 to 3 bolt converter to fit 3 hole shoes as well.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Personal preference. I prefer SPD-SL but have used SPD and didn't like them. Look are similar to SPD-SL for feel and fitting then you have speedplay which are excellent but expensive in comparison to other brands. But if there was one type that was better than the rest, I am sure all the pros would all use the same. Even they use different types to suit their riding style.
  • Dmak
    Dmak Posts: 445
    Personal preference. I prefer SPD-SL but have used SPD and didn't like them. Look are similar to SPD-SL for feel and fitting then you have speedplay which are excellent but expensive in comparison to other brands. But if there was one type that was better than the rest, I am sure all the pros would all use the same. Even they use different types to suit their riding style.

Pedal choice for the pro's comes down to sponsorship a lot of the time, so I am led to believe.

I'd like speedplays but I'm happy with my SPD-SL pedals most of the time. Unless of course I miss the clip pulling onto a roundabout.
  • smoggysteve
    Dmak wrote:

Pedal choice for the pro's comes down to sponsorship a lot of the time, so I am led to believe.

I'd like speedplays but I'm happy with my SPD-SL pedals most of the time. Unless of course I miss the clip pulling onto a roundabout.

I agree, I never meant they choose their own, but if one had an advantage over the other, then all the teams would adopt the same pedal system.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    I have SPD's on my current bike, mainly because I use it for some commuting. They are easy to clip in and out of and I can walk in the shoes without destroying the cleats.

I am about to go n+1 and, since the new bike will not be used for commuting, I am considering going to SPD-SL on it.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Most of my bikes have SPDs. My #1 bike has SPD-SLs because my old shoes were wearing out after 10 years and I thought I'd try SLs. Don't notice much difference clipped in, but I find clipping in harder with SLs and if you miss you're stuck (not fun in traffic). Plus you can't walk any distance in SLs.

So SPDs are my preference, but as I have SLs now I'll stick with them for the summer road bike. Also worth noting that most SL shoes are designed for Italian weather, not what we normally get sadly.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • smoggysteve
    unixnerd wrote:
    Most of my bikes have SPDs. My #1 bike has SPD-SLs because my old shoes were wearing out after 10 years and I thought I'd try SLs. Don't notice much difference clipped in, but I find clipping in harder with SLs and if you miss you're stuck (not fun in traffic). Plus you can't walk any distance in SLs.

So SPDs are my preference, but as I have SLs now I'll stick with them for the summer road bike. Also worth noting that most SL shoes are designed for Italian weather, not what we normally get sadly.

Not aimed at you directly unixnerd, but I always wonder why people go on about being able to walk in SPD cleats. 99.9% of the time I don't have to worry about walking in my SPD-SL cleats. You know why? Cos I'm riding my fooking bike! Yes I may need to walk 10 metres into a cafe or into the house after my ride. But that does not destroy cleats. You you want to make an arguement for them in favour of SPD-SL don't use that one.
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    The main plus point of speedplay is the amount of float available. I am rather duckfooted on the right, so the float gived the range for my foot to be in a more normal position.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I always wonder why people go on about being able to walk in SPD cleats.

When I cycle to work I have a fairly long walk to my desk across the car park then inside the building. They put the bike rack next to the gym, not the main building. I have to climb four flights of wooden stairs and I'd rather not do that in SL cleats.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • ManOfKent
    ManOfKent Posts: 392
    unixnerd wrote:
    I always wonder why people go on about being able to walk in SPD cleats.

When I cycle to work I have a fairly long walk to my desk across the car park then inside the building. They put the bike rack next to the gym, not the main building. I have to climb four flights of wooden stairs and I'd rather not do that in SL cleats.

On recent commutes I've walked up seven flights of stone stairs in SLs and find them absolutely fine. I put SPDs on the winter bike in anticipation of how frequently I'd have a foot down at lights on the commute but much prefer the SLs on the summer bike all the same. Maybe it's down to the trail shoes rather than the SPDs themselves, but I've found the cleats work loose and it's been difficult to get the alignment right.

Previously I used old-style Looks which weren't good for walking in - unlike the SLs they didn't have any kind of grips on the bottom. Never tried Time or Speedplays although I know people who swear by both.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Each to their own but I prefer SPD over SL.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • defycomp2
    defycomp2 Posts: 252
    Have just swaped to Time. Lovely! So much nicer than my old SPD-SL 540's even when they did have new cleats.
    Summer - Giant Defy Composite 2 (Force 22) (retd)
    Cannondale Synapse Sram Red ETap
    Winter - Boardman CX Team (Rival X1 Hyd)