Lifeventure towels - why do they stink so much?

jongooligan
jongooligan Posts: 223
edited September 2013 in Commuting chat
I've got two of these and use them on alternate days to shower at work. There's nowhere to dry them so I leave them on top of my locker until home time by which time they're reeking so much that I have to fasten them on the outside of my bag so they don't contaminate anything inside.

Doesn't matter how hot I wash 'em they're still slightly whiffy afterwards so have to be stored separately from my other gear.

Anyone know how to tame 'em or have any recommendations for something better?

Cheers

jon

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I think just about any towel will stink if it's left to dry in a wet heap. Washing likes to be aired!
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Tried using an antibacterial detergent? And tried washing several times straight in a row?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • Thanks for the replies. Seems I was doing Life Systems a disservice - the towels are made by Lifeventure. Any way, the reason I bought 'em was because they're supposed to dry in 10 minutes in a light zephyr and they're treated with an anti-bacterial agent so they're not supposed to stink.

Given that I've got nowhere to dry 'em at work I'll give the antibacterial detergent a go.
  • gsej
    gsej Posts: 34
    Hang them from the top tube of your bike?

I shower at work after my commute in and then just spread the towel out as best I can over my sports bag which I keep under my desk. If I turn it over a couple of times during the day it dries out nicely without ever getting smelly.
  • Wash them in Milton's solution. Regularly.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Finally got round to trying some of these suggestions. So thanks to gsej & Greg66; soaked the towels in Milton fluid, washed them and that got rid of the stink. Now when I use them at work I take them back outside and hang them in the bike shed and they don't stink when I'm ready to go home.

Result
  • Umm, put them to dry when you've washed and chuck them in the washing machine with your riding gear, job done.

I also use them for touring. They don't get too smelly if you give them a good rinse each time and leave them to dry.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I take it these are the lightweight towels that are made of a fleece type of material. I have one of them and yes, they really do smell. Why not just get a small "normal" towel and use that instead? I'm sure such a towel would only be a little bit bigger/more bulky, would dry just as well and would not stink so much

I only use mine about once a year when I take it bike camping or on long events.