Padded 3/4 or shorts for the (ahem) bigger man

razocaine_07
razocaine_07 Posts: 9
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
Hi there,

Ive just joined the road cycling brigade and am just wanting to get some advice. At nearly 16.5stone and only 5'10 im a bit on the 'portly' side. Could anyone recommend padded cycling shorts or 3/4 shorts that would be suitable for someone with a 38-40" waist? Been looking for a while online and have so far not found much. Given the choice I would probably go for 3/4 shorts but any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Same as you albeit taller. Gore power 2.0 in xxl. If not them then dub Aeron pros from wiggle in xxl also. Comfortable and last forever.

The Gore bike wear power 2.0's also come in shorts, 3/4 and both available as both bibs and regular shorts
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Sorry if I am being naive, I guess you don't mean this then?

sumo-Cycling.jpg
  • I too am blessed in the waist department - hovering between a 38-40. Found some Specialized Sport padded shorts in the sale at Evans - £19.99 down from £35. Ordered the XXL and they're really great; in fact I ordered a second pair! Not the thickest pad in the world, but makes a big difference.
  • Druidor
    Druidor Posts: 230
    180cm (5ft 11) 101kg 222lb got a pair from the specialized store. rbx sport body geometry bib shorts XL cost me £45.

red pad comfy on the rides I have done so far.
    ---
    Sensa Trentino SL Custom 2013 - 105 Compact - Aksium Race
  • XXL (UK/Europe) or 3XL (Asia) shorts should fit

I'm in the upper end of that range myself and find the XXL Giant pro bib-shorts fit perfectly
  • Decathlon do quite a few that go to XXL
  • i am over 17st and 5ft 10 and i just order it online in either 2xl or 3 xl and so far so good, i have saxo tinkoff 3/4 bib, giordana full length bib, a couple of alturas and some other shorts etc, just order from tinterweb and if they dont fit send them back.

although it should be stated nothing you get will be roomy! :lol:
  • chuckla
    chuckla Posts: 132
    I wear Madison Peloton XXL
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    Xxl giordana body clone from ribble. Perfect at 5 11 and 16 stone 7. Have lost 10 lbs and till fit. The shoulder straps slightly tight when standing but perfect on the bike
  • Thanks for the feedback guys ill have a look over all the recommendations