Slipping chaing when on on high gear

Apfik
Apfik Posts: 3
edited August 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I am new to the the forum as well as to fixing my bike, so please apologize me if the answer to my question is obvious.
I am fixing my old MTB, which was almost impossible to run as it was standing outside for some time. I had to change a chain as it was very rusty as well as complete chain set as it was somehow slightly bended. Everything works fine, but when I set the chain to the high gear (big chain ring, two smallest gears on back) the chain stars to slip even when I paddle with moderate effort.
Do you have any advices what that could be?
I did check the cassette and it seems pretty good, but I am aware that there can be mismatch between new chain and old cassette, but the problem is only on the two highest gears, so I am not sure about that.
I was thinking about two things: 1. too long chain or 2. there is something wrong with back gear shifter.
Thank you in advance for all comments and suggestions.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have you checked for debris between the gears lifting the chain off the teeth?

If no debris, worn cassette/freewheel I'm afraid, the smallest gears wear most as less teeth are engaged with the chain.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    New chain on an old cassette is a recipe for slipping. This link will tell you why http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html
  • Apfik
    Apfik Posts: 3
    Thank you for answer. I looked closer if there is debris, but it is completely clean. What I discover is that the chain get lifted by higher gear when it is on two smallest back gears. Now, I am thinking about two possibilities.
    1. I placed the the two smallest gears opposite way on the cassette.
    2. The chain is thicker or is lower quality and some of the connection pins are sticking out and touch a bigger ring.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    3. Cassette is worn and the chain is riding up the worn teeth

You can't fit them the wrong way round due to the unever spline pattern
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Worn cassette.