stolen bikes petition

Ramanujan
Ramanujan Posts: 352
edited August 2013 in Commuting general
Stolen Bikes last year 468,000, total annual cost to cyclists £115 million, current recovery rate less than 4%.

If the police release the frame numbers of bikes reported to them as stolen for general searches, it will go a long way in stopping the trade of stolen bikes. It would also drastically increase the risk for bike thieves attempting to sell stolen bikes. There have been petitions in the past calling on eBay to get frame numbers from people selling bikes but that won't help unless a list of stolen ones is also published for members of the public and large marketplaces like ebay to check frame numbers against.

https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/ ... ome-office

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Will not stop bike thefts. But the sales of bike parts will increase.

And what about Gumtree do you think they would do anything?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I'm embarrassed to say I don't even know my frame numbers. I might pop out to the garage and record them.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Frame is about 20% the value of a bike (once it's in bits) so while it may help, it won't stop it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,881
    My bike doesn't have a frame number
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Link to the petition doesn't work.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Mr.Duck
    Mr.Duck Posts: 174
    Nearly everyone that has a valuable bike stolen have tried to secure it with a cable lock or similar. The solution is better security.
  • The Rookie
    Ignoring all the bikes stolen from inside what would normally be considered secure buildings or those where the frame is cut to steel the bike...
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Mr.Duck
    Mr.Duck Posts: 174
    Especially bikes stolen from inside 'secure' buildings.
  • PhunkyPhil
    PhunkyPhil Posts: 143
    If you worried about this use one of the RFID tagging companies and sticker your bike. It is suppose to deter feft as you can't remove the RFID tag and stickers and police can scan the frame and finds your address and will know instantly if the bike has been reported stollen.

I have this on my S-Works but haven't bothered on my commute bike as I just use something which I accept will get destroyed by bad weather and if it gets stollen I have to replace it. I save a fortune cycling to the station rather than parking or getting the bus so am not that fussed about the bike.
  • moarspeed
    moarspeed Posts: 119
    Forgive me if I don't know what i'm talking about, but I was under the impression that the the majority of the time with commuter bikes, they are stolen to feed drug habits, the thief has probably sold your £1000 bike for £50 (his next hit) within hours of the theft, he won't give a damn about markings, stickers, serial number or RFID tags.....

Top end bikes (MTB or Road) tend to be follow you home jobs, stolen by organised gangs.
  • The Rookie
    PhunkyPhil wrote:
    If you worried about this use one of the RFID tagging companies and sticker your bike. It is suppose to deter feft as you can't remove the RFID tag and stickers and police can scan the frame and finds your address and will know instantly if the bike has been reported stollen.
    Unless its stripped and the frame dumped......
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    The Rookie wrote:
    PhunkyPhil wrote:
    Or simply never scanned.

None of my bikes have ever been scanned by the police, they could be stolen and tagged, but no one would ever know.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    bails87 wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    PhunkyPhil wrote:
    Or simply never scanned.

None of my bikes have ever been scanned by the police, they could be stolen and tagged, but no one would ever know.

How do you know? Do you know the range of the RFID tag & scanner? Some passive tags can be read at 40' ... so you could just pass through an RFID scanning area and be scanned ...
  • Team4Luke
    Team4Luke Posts: 597
    simply make it illegal to sell a bike online without stating the frame number and a photo of the number under the BB, enforce the Police to make their list public too.
    Team4Luke supports Cardiac Risk in the Young
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Slowbike wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    PhunkyPhil wrote:
    Or simply never scanned.

How do you know? Do you know the range of the RFID tag & scanner? Some passive tags can be read at 40' ... so you could just pass through an RFID scanning area and be scanned ...
    Yes, I'm sure rural Warwickshire is full of high tech super-secret long range RFID scanning zones to address the tiny problem of stolen bikes that happen to be tagged with RFIDs. :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    bails87 wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    Or simply never scanned.

Yes, I'm sure rural Warwickshire is full of high tech super-secret long range RFID scanning zones to address the tiny problem of stolen bikes that happen to be tagged with RFIDs. :wink:

Not just bikes ... it's sheep as well you know! ;)