Mega tr or alternatives

b_wilde
b_wilde Posts: 7
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hey. Looking at buying me a new full sus. Had a heckler and never got on with it. I currently ride a cove stifee which to be honest is an amazing bike. However it is getting on now and showing its scars so looking fir a new bike. Frame only pref as have a budget of 1000ish as my parts can bolt straight over really as most of them are still relatively new.

Tempted by a mega tr as I don't need masses of travel as I'm used to a hardtail with a 140/150 fork. Do hard trial riding and go around the country a bit with the occasional go on light dh runs so need something to take the abuse.

Any suggestions????

Comments

• ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    1 issue, a lot of 2014 frames are 650b so you might either want to by 650b wheels or calculate the geometry effect of running 26 on a 650b frame
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    26" wheels aren't going to become obsolete any time soon, there are too many already in use for manufacturers to stop making wheels forks or tyres.
    Mega TR is wicked fun. Its definitely a hard hitting play bike rather than an xc bike. It feels really good on DH trails and jumps but not so great on climbs.
    A mate has one for enduro racing and he loves it.
  • ej2320
    Defiantly, 26" tyre ect will be produced for a while but the nukeproof is strange as it's only 26" and most 2014 frames are 650b so I was just saying do the calculations as you won't want to ruin the HA ect
  • rockmonkeysc
    Lots of smaller manufacturers are sticking with 26".
    Why would you want to fit 650B wheels?
    26" parts will be around for a long time.
  • b_wilde
    26" wheels aren't going to become obsolete any time soon, there are too many already in use for manufacturers to stop making wheels forks or tyres.
    Mega TR is wicked fun. Its definitely a hard hitting play bike rather than an xc bike. It feels really good on DH trails and jumps but not so great on climbs.
    A mate has one for enduro racing and he loves it.
    How does he find it landing jumps and drops. I was concerned that it might blow through its travel and bottom out to easily if you get a but rowdy with it.
  • rockmonkeysc
    No problem. It ramps up quite fast, almost like a slopestyle bike
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Mega TR gets a great review in this month's MBUK group test (4.5 stars).
  • b_wilde
    So with the news of 650b next season what do we say. Pick up a bargin 26 frame or wait and splash more cash than I should on the 650b build
  • ej2320
    Up to you, there no guarantee 26 with be cheap with the 650b nukeproofs, they said they will make both 26 and 650b for 2014 and let the customer choose which they want

I really like this approach from Nukeproof, they will really gain support by making both size frames
  • rockmonkeysc
    I just saw that today. Im really tempted to order a 26" Mega TR. That will mean I can still use my DH tyres on it as well as my xc tyres and spare wheels.
    I liked the idea of the Giant Trance SX but then I can't use any of my 26" bits.
  • ej2320
    The new 650b mega has almost sold it to me. Pagey looks rapid on the 650b mega
  • rockmonkeysc
    He would be rapid on any bike. Its impossible to tell how much faster the 650b is or if it is any faster at all.
    Its only half an inch on the radius which is absolutely bugger all. Thou it must make some difference, Dan Atherton was most un-complimentary when GT gave him 650 b wheels to try
  • ej2320
    I'm gonna go 650b cause I NOW HAVE NO CHOICE! Except for nukeproof or Ibis

To be honest I can run a 2.1 tyre and make it nearly 26" if I don't like it

Nico reckons on a 2 minute 30 second run it will save 1 second off the time. In other works, it's literally the same as 26" but we want every advantage we can get in enduro but most importantly we can make more money..

Don't want the debate on wheel size but Pagey looks just as rapid on a 26" as he does on a 650b, therefore I can conclude I'll buy whatever. I just want to ride
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    I just saw that today. Im really tempted to order a 26" Mega TR.

I had a look at one in Stif Cycles - v nice looking bike.
  • ej2320
    I just saw that today. Im really tempted to order a 26" Mega TR.

I had a look at one in Stif Cycles - v nice looking bike.

They seem well made with a good Rockshox, £1250 is a good price