£250 for wheels

ste_t
ste_t Posts: 1,599
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
If you had £250 to spend on wheels tomorrow, what would you go for? (Literally looking to order tomorrow.)

15mm front, qr rear, 26". Ideally black hubs and rims, good to go tubeless out the box. Frame is black with red highlights so nothing that clashes.

Riding xc in what can only be described as a ClumsyMinceGnarr fashion (mostly trail centre's at the moment, but need to hold up to the cc2cc.)

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    custom built from merlin or CRC with XT hubs to start with and go for a suitable mavic tubless rim with DT DB spokes.
  • These are quite popular round here:

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=496
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    POAH - I'll check Merlin out, Ta.

Matty - That is what I wanted, buy only white rims left and that is a definite no no.
  • i personally wouldn't go with XT hubs, I've had XT before and it seized up solid on me mid-ride; put me off shimano MTB hubs for life, obviously that's probably just my bad luck!

I would highly recommend going down the Pro 2 wheel route, I always used pro 2's on my "trail" MTB's

I've got Mavic Crossrides on my 29er, they're not the lightest, but I really can't tell the difference, I think there becomes a point when you have to be either uber fit to notice the difference on wheel weights, and that's about the 2kg limit; I've got Mavic Crossmax ST's and they're 1.5kg the set, I couldn't ride any quicker on my old bike when I had those fitted than I could with the Stans Flows / Pro 2 set I had.

If you can stretch a bit further, Merlin have Pro2 sets on sale at the moment (i think).