morzine - butchers or hans dampf?

DodgeT
DodgeT Posts: 2,255
edited August 2013 in MTB general
Off to morzine on thursday and trying to decide on tyres for the session.

Have a pair of butcher 2.3 dh and hans dampf 2.35 snaceskin evo trail star blah blah. Mainly done dh at antur stiniog lots of times with both sets of tyres and only had 1 pinch flat on the hd's but that was due to way too low pressure. I'm no dh demon/god so I'm pretty easy on tyres.

My thoughts are,
Butchers, pro's = dual ply, good for dry/rocky,
Con's = heavy buggers, not so good in mud

Hans, pro's = light but tough, good all rounder, better in mud
Con's = light, not as tough as butchers, not as good in dry dusty as butchers

Those are my main thoughts at the minute, thinking that the butchers are awesome in the dry, but hans better in damp. Again, butchers tougher but the hans don't let me down. Weather forecast looks dry but with rain due.

Some reviews state that morzine isnt a real rock fest?

Help!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Stick both in the boot and decide when you get there
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • DodgeT
    Flying. Suppose I could see if I could squeeze them in the box...
  • HD's all the way...
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    HD's all the way...

This there superb tyres been running them for 18 months through all conditions, lots of different opinions on tyres though..
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I brought two sets of tyres to morzine this year, a set of mud tyres and a set of maxxpro Minions. Used one mud tyre for one day and didn't bother again, and it was wet a lot. I understand Butchers are very similar to Minions, mine were fine for the fortnight, they can clog up a little in mud, but they were otherwise fine. I'd stick to the butchers, you're only going to be riding down hills and there are some fairly rocky areas. Might as well stick with the ones that are least likely to flat.

That said, if I were to go on a singletrack all mountain type holiday like I plan to next year, I'd use the hans dampfs. For morzine though, just stick with minions (or in your case, butchers). They work fine.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Dual ply minions are the tyre of choice for Morzine.
  • DodgeT
    Been checking the weather for the past few days and it seems (dare I say it) that it's going to be dry, so gone with the butchers.

I sit back and await the downpours.

Will chuck the hd's in the box, bit of extra padding if nothing else.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    in honesty the butcher is much like a minnion but uhm better from my experience.
  • ilovedirt
    The Butcher is a much newer tyre, Minons have been around for donkeys years, so I'd hope the Butcher would be better.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    ilovedirt wrote:
    The Butcher is a much newer tyre, Minons have been around for donkeys years, so I'd hope the Butcher would be better.

If a tread pattern works, and Rubber tech hasnt vastly changed i don't see why?
  • DodgeT
    Have used both and prefer the butchers.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt wrote:

If a tread pattern works, and Rubber tech hasnt vastly changed i don't see why?
    The tread pattern isn't exactly the same, it's similar. And rubber tech has changed a lot.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • DodgeT
    Well the butchers were great. Have to say, I was surprised at how rocky it wasnt... guess we didn't see the gnarly stuff.
    Did everything bar the black at les gets, all bar the blacks at chatel and supermorzine. Rockiest was a run down from chatel and it wasn't bad at all. Not a puncture and i'd got lightweight tubes in.
  • ilovedirt
    Yeah it's not super rocky out there, it can be a bit in lindarets, and the swiss national is pretty damn rocky.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5