Cars getting far too close to me at top of slope

notnot
notnot Posts: 284
edited August 2013 in Commuting general
I'm regularly having problems at the top of a short, steeply sloping road, which feeds into a busy city centre road. The slope is narrow (it would be a tight squeeze for two small cars to pass each other even without any cars parked in the way) though road markings divide the top of the slope into two lanes. It is an awkward road for drivers to turn right into - if there were a car on the left of the slope, you'd need to wait for it to turn out out or go very slowly.

When I'm on the bike, it's not uncommon for me to get to the top, stop and indicate to turn out, then find a car turning right while going well onto the wrong side of the road...on several occasions they've tried to turn through where I was stopped, meaning I had to struggle to shift myself/bike a bit left. Could be a lot worse - the cars were turning pretty slowly, at least - but not a good way to start my day!

Any ideas of ways to avoid this? I'm placed pretty centrally in lane, and drivers do seem to be seeing me - even making eye contact...but that doesn't stop them from trying to turn through me in a way I'm presuming they wouldn't with a car.

Comments

• Mr.Duck
    Mr.Duck Posts: 174
    Google streetview picture?
  • notnot
    Good reminder! It's at the top of this road I'm having problems https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?oe=utf-8 ... CC8Q8gEwAA
  • Hard to think what you can do if they are seeing you apart from maybe just hold your place and make them stop. You sound to be in the right place for your manoeuvre though I suppose for your own safety and if nothing was behind you you could hang a bit more left even though you shouldn't have to.
  • Mr.Duck
    You can't avoid it. Maintain your position. If you are turning right, you get on the far right hand side of the lane (without crossing the white line) and wait. Be patient, consistant, smooth and non erratic.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Here?
    https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=step+r ... 30.74,,0,0
    As above, as you get there stick to just on the white line.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • notnot
    The Rookie wrote:
    Here?
    https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=step+r ... 30.74,,0,0
    As above, as you get there stick to just on the white line.

Yep - there. If I'm turning right, I tend to stop about an arm's length or slightly more left of the line (so I can signal right without sticking my arm over the line). Think it's worth placing myself slightly further right, then? I do try to maintain my position, but there have been a couple of occasions where the driver kept turning at me it was either move or find out whether the driver would stop or try to go through me :roll: People seem to turn in fairly slowly - and I'm not exactly speeding by the time I cycle to the top - so I don't imagine a knock would do that much damage...but I'm not keen to test this theory!

I did think about placing myself further left to make more room for cars to turn in, but if I do that then cars going uphill seem to see that as permission to overtake me badly (and, as they're often going faster, I think that's more likely to get me injured).
  • Mr.Duck
    Yes, go all the way over to the right. I probably wouldn't stick my arm out at all because it would be so obvious I was turing right by the road positioning. Even if you do stick your arm out, still go all the way over to the right.

If the car is turning into you, I would brake or stop. I wouldn't yield and move over ever. The more space you give them, the more you will be cut up and be taken advantage of (as a general rule).
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    If its that narrow there is no need to go to the extreme right of your lane. Just being in the middle of it and indicating right will mean nothin is going to come right of you. That should also allow a reasonable driver to turn right into the road.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    If its that narrow there is no need to go to the extreme right of your lane. Just being in the middle of it and indicating right will mean nothin is going to come right of you. That should also allow a reasonable driver to turn right into the road.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I would keep about a foot in to the left of the white line and keep your upper arm vertical and stick your lower arm out only, this is what I have to do at a right turn otherwise cars keep coming past if I'm a yard back and arm extended....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.