giant vt front mech and chain rub

biggs83
biggs83 Posts: 37
edited August 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys

Just picked up a Giant VT frame and i'm moving stuff from my hard tail to this one.
The only problem i have had at the minute is the front mech. The previous owner supplied the original with the frame and the mech is a top pull. The problem I have is that the chain rubs on the derailleur and if i adjust it so it doesnt rub the mech hits the chain rings.
I have looked all over the internet for a solution but haven't had much luck
The specs for the bike should have a 22 32 44 tooth chain set which is what i have.
Any help would be appreciated
many thanks

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Move it up?
  • biggs83
    If i move it up the it rubs on the chain as explained in the post above
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You often get a bit of rub in some gears.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • biggs83
    but this is lifting the chain up
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Is the front mech for a triple or a double?

Where does it rub, side or on the bottom cross piece as I suspect? If it's there, simple answer is don't run the smallest gears on the cassette with the smallest chainring!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    You sure that's not a 48 outer, have you counted them?

If 44 then what the rookie said.
  • cobba
    cobba Posts: 282
    biggs83 wrote:
    If i move it up the it rubs on the chain as explained in the post above

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDPc1WqT2PE
  • biggs83
    Just had a look at the video and thought that might have been the answer, went outside to do what the guy does on the video an im still having the same issue. I think I might just not use the bottom granny ring.
    Also just rechecked the ring sizes and they are 22 32 44 and counted them to just to make sure
  • cobba
    edited August 2013
    What model derailleur do you have.

FD-M _ _ _

It'll be stamped on it somewhere.

Does this rubbing happen when you're riding of is it only happening on a work stand while you're trying to tune the derailleur?

I ask that because on a bike with rear suspension the shock should be set with some sag when you sit on or ride the bike.

The chain will be in a different position when there's sag set with the shock and you're sitting on or riding the bike to when there's no sag with the shock or there's no weight on the bike that makes the shock sag.

If the chain doesn't rub when you ride the bike with the correct amount of sag set then there's probably nothing wrong with your setup.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Rookie wrote:
    Is the front mech for a triple or a double?

Where does it rub, side or on the bottom cross piece as I suspect? If it's there, simple answer is don't run the smallest gears on the cassette with the smallest chainring!
    And......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • biggs83
    Hi guys
    Sorry for not replying, been busy at work

I think its for a triple if you mean the amount of rings I have
    The model # is FD-M530
    Just looked at what Cobba put and yes that is the problem.
    This is my first full suspension bike and always had hard tails
    You've all been great help, just need to figure out the rest of the frame and other bits and bobs
    Once again many thanks (more questions to come lol)
  • cobba
    So it was sag that's the problem, that was an easy fix.

The FD-M530 derailleur has specs for a 22 tooth chainring difference and a 12 tooth difference between the large and middle chainrings so you've the right derailleur for a 44-32-22 crankset.

http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs/index.jsp
  • biggs83
    I'm just glad thats its sorted, its been driving me nuts.

Just got a few more bits and bobs to put on it then i'm off riding again (only been off the bike a few days and getting withdrawal)

I may be posting a new help thread on easy setup of a fox rp23 rear shock soon too (and thats people helping me)

Once again many thanks