Viking bikes for 20k rides?

rogerhayllar
rogerhayllar Posts: 13
edited August 2013 in Commuting general
I'm looking at cycling into the train station (16k) regularly or just going for 20k rides if I'm bored.
Would a Viking bike be any good for light use like this? I'm not going to be going for hundreds of kilometres on it every day, only light use so I can't justify the price of a nice £600 road bike. Would something around £200 from viking or another brand like that be better than a cheap rigid mtb?

Comments

• Is the route flat? If so, maybe think about a single speed, easier to maintain, sturdy, lighter and cheap to buy
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I'm looking at cycling into the train station (16k) regularly or just going for 20k rides if I'm bored.
    Would a Viking bike be any good for light use like this? I'm not going to be going for hundreds of kilometres on it every day, only light use so I can't justify the price of a nice £600 road bike. Would something around £200 from viking or another brand like that be better than a cheap rigid mtb?
    Yes, a bit heavier than something more expensive but perfectly adequate.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • j_mcd
    j_mcd Posts: 473
    Could you consider buying second hand? My Specialized Allez cost about 600 quid a few years back but if it was sold now would be lucky to get 150 quid. There are always people flogging older (but good) bikes as they want to trade up and you could get yourself something lighter and better.
    Giant Defy Advanced 0 - Best
    Planet X London Road - Wet
    Montague Fit - Foldy thing that rarely gets used these days
  • Mr Will
    Mr Will Posts: 216
    I expect you'll be forever fixing it. Go for a single speed, second hand or up your budget to £300 and get a Triban/Carrera
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9 Tiagra
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    A rapid, all-weather commuter road bike is different to a race bike. Also called "winter training" bikes,
    they usually come with more tyre clearance by using caliper brakes with a longer drop and also they have threaded eyelets to fit full-length mudguards. Lower gears such as a compact double chainset are usually preferred to race gearing of a std chainset. Rack eyelets at the seatstays add more versatility. The Viking may have those features but its worth checking.
    Some budget roadbikes such as Pinnacle Dolomite 2 come with these practical touches.
    Everyday commuting also needs good puncture protection and budget bike have budget tyres.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    When I'm away on business I rent a fairly shonky Merida mountain bike and that's managed 54 miles (last trip) including a lot of climbing.....it will cope.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.