Bottom bracket help......

JAMESWRIGHT2004
JAMESWRIGHT2004 Posts: 10
edited August 2013 in MTB beginners
Hi Guys,

I need a little help from all of your vast knowledge. I am currently undergoing the massive transition from road cyclist to MTB. I have recently inherited an older Claud Butler (Cape Wrath disc) bike from my brother. I think its an '07. Anyway cut a long story short the bike needed a lot of TLC and a few parts replacing. Nothing major. I know it's not the best bike in the world (far from it). But as a fairly mechanical minded guy I thought I could breath a little bit more life into the old dog before taking a huge financial plunge of a new bike.

I need a little help with my bottom bracket. The bearings were buggered for lack of a better expression. So I whipped it out to replace.

On the bracket it is marked:
Truvativ
Square LE
BB-08-SQ-LE-113/68
The cranks are a Square shafted Truvativ FiveD on a Shimano Deore gearset

My question(s) are:

1) Is it best to replace the whole bracket or just the bearings. Indeed, is it possible to take the unit apart. (I have access to an SKF bearing account at work, and would be pretty cheap for me to do it this way if possible)
2) Is there a better replacement for this model for the same money i.e. Shimano etc (I'm not sure what dictates the compatibility with other makes/models).
3) Is it best just to buy an exact direct replacement.

Pics:
ihtx.jpg

juwk.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated

I look forward to hearing back from you

James (MTB Newbie)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    just replace the whole BB with a new one with the same axle length (113mm)

bearings are not really servicable.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Shimano make the best value ST BB's, last for ages.....can be had for about £6 delivered off ebay.

Cape Wrath was a decent bike back in it's day.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks guys.

Would something like this be compatible. Just want to be sure to get it right!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-BB-UN ... 48562eb44b
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That one is perfect....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Awesome.

Thanks