Nitrates

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited August 2013 in Pro race
Right - http://www.53x12.com/do/show?page=article&id=128

The ingested nitrates are absorbed in the intestines, are then concentrated at least tenfold in the saliva (thus explaining the practice of a particular ProTour team of holding some beans in the mouth for 40mins) and in the mouth are transformed into nitrites by bacteria that are located on the tongue.

Who TF does this?
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    we have all done that for years
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • ad_snow
    ad_snow Posts: 469
    "The single intake of 0.5 liters of beetroot juice led to an improvement of 6% in the power generated in a trainer-simulated 16km time trial in a group of mid-level cyclists (VO2max = 56 ml/kg/min), as shown in a English double-blind study (Med Sci Sports Exerc 2011; 43:1125-1131).
    This improvement, more than negligible, corresponds to 48 seconds (3"/km) and is comparable with the result of a transfusion of a pint of blood."

I know what I'm fuelling up with next TT.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    It makes a big improvement. I had a bad crash at a race a couple of years ago and when in the hospital my pi55 was bright red, the nurses panicked a bit until I explained...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Ferrari will be discussing the effects of midi-chlorians next ...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I think a lot of the research on beetroot juice was done at Exeter University. Their hockey team used to turn up with crates of the stuff (probably still do). I'm surprised they hadn't turned purple.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Have they created a beetroot drink that doesn't taste utterly rank yet?

Also, how long before an hour long best effort would an athlete ingest the juice?

I'm asking for a friend.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Ol' Ferrari's very behnd the times, isnt he

(as opposed to when he really did used to be behind the times...of the riders)
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    Have they created a beetroot drink that doesn't taste utterly rank yet?
    Theres this:

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/ ... =275216744

No idea what it's like, I just did a search having read this thread.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    According to Dr Ferrari, when taken in moderation beetroot juice is no more dangerous than EPO. :wink:
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Have they created a beetroot drink that doesn't taste utterly rank yet?
    Theres this:

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/ ... =275216744

No idea what it's like, I just did a search having read this thread.
    I've tried some - it's actually quite nice, not much different from any other fruit juice. Recommended!
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    So drinking a pint of beetroot juice has the same effect as transfusing a pint of blood. Is there any need now to risk blood doping? I wonder if smoothie makers are popular in the pro peloton.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Also, how long before an hour long best effort would an athlete ingest the juice?

http://frayedlacesracing.com/beet-juice ... rformance/

Either every day for a week or a few hours, it says there.
    Eight men who were “recreationally active” performed a cycling test, then consumed 500 ml/day of either beetroot juice or placebo for six days, then returned for another cycling test. The beetroot juice group had a significantly slower oxygen uptake rate than the placebo group and a significantly longer time to exhaustion than the placebo group (16% longer for beet root group than placebo group).
    consumed either 500ml of beetroot juice or 500 ml placebo 2 ½ hours before performing a 4 and 16k time trial (all participants performed time trials of both the beet and placebo treatment). The beet time trials had significantly higher power output levels for the same VO2 levels (5% higher power output for the 4km TT, 6% higher output for 16km TT)
    Taking one dose 1-3 hours before an event will give you a 3-6% improvement in performance, but “loading” a week before your event will give you even greater performance benefits.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    RichN95 wrote:
    According to Dr Ferrari, when taken in moderation beetroot juice is no more dangerous than EPO. :wink:

Ffs. Wake up 5hrs later than the UK and the joke's already been done.

:roll:
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    This has been doing the rounds for a couple of years now amongst our random group of alpine sportivers (etape, marmotte etc). The bottom line is the bottom line. it might or might not work but it turns your p pink and your sh11 purple. :oops:
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    RichN95 wrote:
    I think a lot of the research on beetroot juice was done at Exeter University.
    The Exeter study showed 16% more stamina in a roughly (but only) 10 min-long session on a bike ergometer. – which is hardly indicative of how beneficial the stuff might be over a longer time and distance outdoors.

Eitherway I’ll try Borsch for my evening meal the night before my next sportive.

And as for chewing beans on the ride, stuff them, I’m going instead with all the red bears from a pack of Haribo Goldbears – they're coloured using E 162, which is basically concentrate of beetroot juice.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Beetroot sandwiches...f*****g hell this sport really does test your commitment.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,169
    I've used the concentrated beetroot shots - they taste terrible but the shots are just about small enough. They do seem to make a difference (my TT times got better when I started taking them and a decent local time triallist said his HR was lower for a given power output when he uses them).
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    I get the suspicion the guy hasn't got a ffing clue about this stuff at all and the depth of his knowledge is paper deep in general.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Beetroot juice certainly turned Papa Horner's career around.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Ferrari will be discussing the effects of midi-chlorians next ...
    Bloody George Lucas, I preferred it when the force was mysterious, everyone got that, it didn't need any explanation!
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Now, I'm off for a beetroot transfusion...
  • Beet It just tastes all wrong. I can pallet a small shot of it but if I drank a whole pint would be racing to the Lav to chuck. Maybe that's how it works.....
    My kids treat it like an I'm a Celebrity eating challenge. :-)
    There's warp speed - then there's Storck Speed
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,629
    I juice my own beets and while not being being a drink to savour, it's easily downable. Usually mix mine with carrots.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Atleast he's not talking about rotating limb mass again.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • overlord2
    overlord2 Posts: 339
    Beet It just tastes all wrong. I can pallet a small shot of it but if I drank a whole pint would be racing to the Lav to chuck. Maybe that's how it works.....
    My kids treat it like an I'm a Celebrity eating challenge. :-)

Just make sure its cold from the fridge. I think its an aquired taste and don't mind it now. Wiping your arse and finding it bright purple is a bit off putting though.

I really do think that it really helps though when you are pushing it on the bike or when im running certainly notice less 'leg burn' on climbing and tt'ing.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    iainf72 wrote:
    Right - http://www.53x12.com/do/show?page=article&id=128

The ingested nitrates are absorbed in the intestines, are then concentrated at least tenfold in the saliva (thus explaining the practice of a particular ProTour team of holding some beans in the mouth for 40mins) and in the mouth are transformed into nitrites by bacteria that are located on the tongue.

Who TF does this?

Are you Dr Ferrari?

I'm suspicious.