Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

Conti Tyres

rubertoerubertoe Posts: 3,994
edited August 2013 in Road buying advice
Can someone tell me the difference between Gatorskins, Ultra Gatorskins and Gatorskin Hardshell?

Other than the price i cant see much difference?

Or should I just not bother and get something else?

Tempted by 4 seasons if i can get them cheap enough..

Thoughts?
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

• rc856rc856 Posts: 1,144
    I believe the hardshell has more of a protective band...the sidewalls..rather than just on the centre.
    When/what do you plan to use them for?

I only use Gatorskins in the winter as they're heavier and have the GP4000s for the better weather.
  • rubertoerubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I'm not worried about weight - if I wanted to shed a couple of hundred grams i'd carry less food with me :)

I will use them on my commuter, so need the protection...
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/road.shtml
    Have a look on here , all the info . 4 seasons are good but gators have a harder compound , so are that bit tougher .
    If you look around non folding gators can be had for about £20 at times , which I think is very good for a quality tyre.
  • drlodgedrlodge Posts: 4,826
    rubertoe wrote:
    I'm not worried about weight - if I wanted to shed a couple of hundred grams i'd carry less food with me :)

I will use them on my commuter, so need the protection...

Weight wise there won't be much in it as you say, but the GP 4 seasons is a much nicer tyre than the gatorskin. I changed from gatorskins to GP4S on my commuting bike (also moving from 23c to 25c) and is a lovely fast, smooth ride with plenty of grip and adequate puncture protection.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • TommyEssTommyEss Posts: 1,855
    I use GP4000 in 25C with the reflex sidewalls on my winter bike - it's the only tyre in regular road sizes with that brilliant sidewall, which is frankly bonkers - should be standard on things like the Gatorskin and GP 4 Season. In fact, I might go and write to Continental and suggest it!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...