boardman comp hybrid

moggy12
moggy12 Posts: 109
edited August 2013 in Commuting general
hi all just bought a second hand boardman comp hybrid bike 4 months old in like new condition came with the Richie ocr wheels which are on the hybrid pro bike payed £350 for it anyone got any tips about this bike or best way of losing the weight I weigh about 21 stone so a lot to lose ?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Good bike, failry strong, you can fit slightly wider tyres (limited at the rear) for better comfort and robustness.

In terms of losing weight, get out and ride as much as possible and don't eat any more because of it!

Not quite the same, but Gary's story may provide some inspiration http://39stonecyclist.com/
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Mr.Duck
    Mr.Duck Posts: 174
    You are 133KG? How tall are you? Try and get under 95KG. 95KG is pretty heavy as it is.

If you are 182cm tall (6 foot), you want to be more like 82KG or under.
  • moggy12
    moggy12 Posts: 109
    yes I know I have a lot to lose i'm 5ft 10 inch so aiming to get down to around 82kg biking daily max so far is 7mls going back really done in
  • Mr.Duck
    Whoa good luck then. The weight should fly off to begin with. So long as you are not stuffing your face with chips ;)

Just cycling a few miles a day every day will drop your weight to under 100KG really quickly I expect, as long as your diet isn't bad.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You have to resist the temptation to eat after you ride......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • God, the only reason I exercise is so I can eat cake. If you ride for an hour or two you burn enough calories to eat a slice of guilt free cake. You will still lose weight if you calorie count. Join myfitnesspal.com (it's completely free), or something similar, and enter all of your statistics, it will tell you how many calories to eat each day, that number goes up when you add exercise to your day. Eat about half of the exercise calories back (they usually over-estimate exercise calories) and hey presto, the weight will come off. I've lost 60 lbs over the last year using this method. If I cycle, run, or whatever, I'm going to eat a bit more, that's my main incentive to exercise. I'm not sure I would get off my bum otherwise.
  • Mr.Duck
    Don't forget about saturated fat. There's more to it than just callories. If you under eat in terms of callories, but get all your callories from pizza and cake, then you will be skinny but have high blood pressure and other problems from the high cholesterol and high salt (from the pizza) diet. Even anorexic people can be affected like this.
  • I'm not suggesting he lives on cake, but a life without a slice of cake every now and then....well, it doesn't bear thinking about.

myfitnesspal also counts your macros/micros, so if you add all your food to your diary it gives you guidelines for fat and salt etc. You can still eat a slice of cake and be under those. It isn't perfect as the food database is made up by users, but it's pretty darn good!
  • Mr.Duck
    Ya, I was meaning the pizza and cake diet to be just an example.

It's good you've found what is working for you and motivating you. I think I'd find it easier to not eat rather than eat high callorie things and then try to burn through it. But then I am too unmotivated. I would eat cake then go for a lie down ;)
  • I think the key is to earn it first, I don't have the treat unless I've burnt the calories. I would lie down too otherwise :)

I don't always have the treat, or always eat back the calories. I just like knowing I can if I want. There is no joy in feeling starved, or any need to punish yourself while you lose weight. I do it to feel better, not worse. If you are burning a lot of calories, you should definitely be eating some of those back, some would say eat all of them back, but it's hard to know precisely how much you've burnt, so I always go with half.

These are the guidelines for calories burnt from cycling on the site I mentioned:

Bicycling, <10 mph Minutes: 60 - Calories: 310
    Bicycling, 10-12 mph Minutes: 60 - Calories: 465
    Bicycling, 12-14 mph Minutes: 60 - Calories: 621
    Bicycling, 16-20 mph Minutes: 60 - Calories: 931

Lots of free phone apps will give you a guideline of calories burnt if you run them during your ride. Strava for one.

I usually cycle for about two hours at a time, definitely enough for a slice of cake. I'm always a bit disappointed with the calorie burn for cycling, running earns more cake points, but I know those hills are doing my cardiovascular system a whole lot of good, even if I don't earn quite as much cake.

Anyway, didn't mean to take over this thread. Different methods work for different people, not saying my way is the only way. You have to find out what's right for you.