Carrera Vulcan upgrades

2»

Comments

• The Rookie wrote:
    Should be about 13.5!

It might not be fully accurate. My weight which is bang on 11 stone holding bike came to 14 stone 4.

About front wheel will a mavic xm319 on SLX hub be lighter than the current shimano m505. Indexed my gears and their like new. Seen some Shimano mt15 wheels for £99 any cop.

Also suggestions for new bars and I want to change to 80mm stem.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    The Rookie wrote:
    Should be about 13.5!

Mine was about 14.5kg.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It might not be fully accurate. My weight which is bang on 11 stone holding bike came to 14 stone 4.
    46lbs, that would make it nearly 22Kg........
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:

No the bike without me is 2 stone 4 pounds. Which is 15 kg

Edit: No it's not it's 14.5kg, now we know why I failed A level Mathematics! :lol:

But back to upgrades, would a Mavic Xm319 on a SLX Hub be good to replace the Shimano M505 on the front. Or a pair of Shimano Mt15's. And should I drop my Maxxis Highrollers 2.35 to something better?

Also I want to shorten my stem to 70mm so looking for a bar and stem combo to replace the heavy original crap.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You need upgrades that will make a difference. Those wheels are just different, no better or lighter really.

Lighter tyres can be got ie Rocket Rons or Conti MK2 black Chilli.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    The Rookie wrote:

No the bike without me is 2 stone 4 pounds. Which is 15 kg

Edit: No it's not it's 14.5kg, now we know why I failed A level Mathematics! :lol:

But back to upgrades, would a Mavic Xm319 on a SLX Hub be good to replace the Shimano M505 on the front. Or a pair of Shimano Mt15's. And should I drop my Maxxis Highrollers 2.35 to something better?

Also I want to shorten my stem to 70mm so looking for a bar and stem combo to replace the heavy original crap.

14 stone 4lbs - 11stone = 3stone 4lbs.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • supersonic wrote:
    You need upgrades that will make a difference. Those wheels are just different, no better or lighter really.

Lighter tyres can be got ie Rocket Rons or Conti MK2 black Chilli.

Any suggestions for wheel?
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    Sorry to hijack your thread.

I'm a road racer but found the joys of MTB'ing last weekend!
    I have the 09 Vulcan but literally have no idea about it. All my 'big' spending goes on the road bike but I want new forks as mine are crap, tyres and maybe wheels at a later date.

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/FOR ... 30tk_100mm

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/TYM ... lding_tyre

Are these any good to start with?

Also any recommendations on wheels? Under 200 quid preferably.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    Those forks are tempting, as the ones on mine have given up the ghost... not sure how goog they are though