Bike project

ej2320
ej2320 Posts: 1,543
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi

I was wondering what parts I would need to buy for a bike build

Starting from frame with a shock

I know the obvious like fork, brakes, wheels ect but what else?

And what can I skimp on and what parts would be the best to spend more on?

Cheers

Comments

• john2002
    john2002 Posts: 158
    its cheaper to buy a full assembled bike. then upgrade when needed. if your building from scratch your gonna need every little bolt and clamp etc and cost quickly builds up.
    GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc 2011, Fixie, frankenbike
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Frame:
    Forks:
    Bars:
    Stem:
    Headset:
    Grips:
    Bar Ends:

Front Brake Lever assy:
    Front Caliper:
    Front disc:
    Rear Brake Lever assy:
    Rear Caliper:
    Rear Disc:
    Hoses:

Shifters:
    Cables:
    Front Mech:
    Rear Mech:
    Chain Device:

Seat:
    Seat Post:
    Seat Post Clamp:

Cranks:
    Chainring(s):
    Chain:
    Cassette:
    Pedals:
    Bottom Bracket:

Front Wheel:
    Rim:
    Spokes:
    Hub:
    Tube:
    Tire:

Back Wheel:
    Rim:
    Spokes:
    Hub:
    Tube:
    Tire:
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Buy a groupset from one of the german companies or Merlin and you can cut the number of clicks down when ordering stuff but make sure you spec the right discs for your wheels and the right front mech for your bike.

stem, bars, seat post and headset, wheels and fork - make sure rear wheel matches rear drop outs and make sure front wheel matches fork. Match bars to stem and seat post to frame.

Other stuff you need - seat post collar (check size), grips, tyres and tubes, pedals and if you fancy such things and the bike can fit them then chain devices, chain guards, etc etc
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    john2002 wrote:
    its cheaper to buy a full assembled bike. then upgrade when needed. if your building from scratch your gonna need every little bolt and clamp etc and cost quickly builds up.

Generally true, but not always!

I know it's a roadie but I managed to get the bits to build the BMC for less than half the RRP of the full bike and got some better kit on it than the standard BMC spec.

The Singlespeed however, for what it is was relatively expensive. If you are prepared to put the legwork in and shop around you can get the bike you want instead of what the manufacturer thinks most people want!
  • Dawesy92
    Dawesy92 Posts: 606
    schweiz wrote:
    john2002 wrote:

Generally true, but not always!

I know it's a roadie but I managed to get the bits to build the BMC for less than half the RRP of the full bike and got some better kit on it than the standard BMC spec.

The Singlespeed however, for what it is was relatively expensive. If you are prepared to put the legwork in and shop around you can get the bike you want instead of what the manufacturer thinks most people want!

I agree with this point!!
    But also, if your having to ask what parts youll need then its probably best you buy an assemled bike! :)
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    I was thinking about building a Santa Cruz and it's defiantly cheaper to build than buy it built

Thanks supersonic, that's just the type of checklist I was looking for