Shimano AM45 SPD

Dawesy92
Dawesy92 Posts: 606
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
Whats peoples thoughts on these - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... elID=55370

I quite like the look of them but cant seem to find them in a local shop to try on, wondered if anyone on here is using them and can shed some light, as im headed off to wales next weekend and thinking about buying them befor i go, also last question is would they work okay with my Crank Brothers Candy pedals?

Thanks in advance, Ben

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    They are a bit heavy and bulky but great for downhill racing. I prefer something much lighter and stiffer for XC riding.
  • Dawesy92
    what would you recommend? for xc use and commuting? as im after some new ones i think.. :)
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I use the older mp66 shoes which are very similar to the AM45's and they are very good. Nice and stiff sole but very comfortable for walking in, unlike other xc disco slippers and they don't act like a sponge like 5:10's do! At that price from CRC I'm tempted to get a pair of AM45's as mine are looking a little tired.
  • Dawesy92
    I just wanna be able to try some on to see how they feel before i comit to spending that money on them!!
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I had some for a bit, they were nice but a bit more faffy than regular SPDs. Partly because they lace up rather than velcro like most SPDs but mainly because the sole is wider than most and makes it difficult to clip out sometimes. You need to run the the cleats right at the inside of the holes to make them easier.

They were great in the cold, not sure how they'd fare in the summer, but I've switched back to flats now, and I'm going to get some AM41s when I've got £60 spare.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017